I-35 Waco Project 4A -
Waco Access Roads
Project ID (CSJ): 0015-01-225
Project 4A is widening I-35 from 4 lanes to 6 lanes for approximately 1.1 miles through Waco, from
Martin Luther King Jr. Drive to Business 77 (BU77):
Need & Purpose
- Need: Increased truck traffic along the I-35 corridor
coupled with regional population growth in Texas has created
travel demand that exceeds its current capacity. The existing
I-35 facility through Central Texas is an essential element of
the local and regional transportation system.
- Purpose: The purpose of the project is to meet local and regional travel demands by increasing capacity; upgrading the transportation infrastructure to meet current FHWA and TxDOT
design standards for interstates, bridges, and frontage roads;
thereby improving the safety of travelers along I-35.
This project will address congestion while improving safety at this
I-35 location by:
- Widening 1.1 miles of I-35 from four lanes to six lanes (three lanes in each direction).
- Rebuilding access roads from Martin Luther King Jr. Dr. to BU77
and making them continuous.
- Construction Cost Estimate:
- Construction Completion: estimated Fall 2017