I-35 Waco Project 5C -
Abbott to Hillsboro
Project ID (CSJ): 0014-07-083
Project 5C widened approximately 5.5 miles of I-35 from FM 1340 to FM 310
between Abbott and Hillsboro.
Need & Purpose
- Need: Increased truck traffic along the I-35 corridor
coupled with regional population growth in Texas created
travel demand that exceeded its current capacity. The existing
I-35 facility through Central Texas is an essential element of
the local and regional transportation system.
- Purpose: The purpose of the project is to meet local and regional travel demands by increasing capacity; upgrading the transportation infrastructure to meet current FHWA and TxDOT
design standards for interstates, bridges, and frontage roads;
thereby improving the safety of travelers along I-35.
This project addressed congestion while improving safety at this
I-35 location by:
- Widening approximately 5.5 miles of I- 35 from four lanes
to six lanes (three lanes in each direction).
- Upgrading on and off ramps.
- Converting frontage roads to one-way
- Constructing two additional safety rest areas
- Building u-turns and electronic message signs
- Construction Cost Estimate:
- Project 5C construction is complete