My35 Central Texas News
Littlefield Chosen to Lead TxDOT's Waco District
Bobby Littlefield, a 28-year veteran of TxDOT, began his new job as district engineer (DE) for TxDOT's Waco District on January 1, 2013. Taking over the reins from Richard Skopik, who retired in August 2012, Littlefield joins Waco after serving nine years as DE for the Paris District. | Read More
Revised Traveler Survey at My35.org: Come Tell Us What You Think
In an effort to make sure motorists along the I-35 expansion project are receiving useful information about lane closures, researchers with the Texas A&M Transportation Institute (TTI) have initiated a second online traveler information survey. The brief, anonymous survey is available at http://my35survey.org. | Read More
TxDOT Set to Deploy End-of-Queue Warning Systems for I-35 Motorists
As part of its technological assistance to TxDOT on the I-35 Expansion Project, the Texas A&M Transportation Institute (TTI) has recommended the deployment of a new alert system for motorists approaching nighttime interstate work zone lane closures. Called an end-of-queue warning system, its main purpose is to let motorists know they are approaching a queue of stopped or slowed vehicles. Slowed traffic sometimes occurs during construction, particularly when lanes are closed to accommodate work crews. | Read More
Section 1B: SALADO (FM 2843 to FM 2484)
- The frontage road on the east side of I-35 has been converted to one-way northbound from Thomas Arnold Rd. to N. Main St. as crews reconstruct the roadway in this area. Additionally, during the construction work, the access road will be closed (one lane at a time) as it is rebuilt. One-way operation will be permanent, except for a short period in early 2013, when the stretch from Thomas Arnold Rd. to Van Bibber Rd. will be temporarily converted to 2-way for the next phase of construction.
- The left lane is closed on the I-35 southbound frontage road from FM 2268 to FM 2843. This is a long-term closure.
- Completed work in the median in preparation for upcoming traffic switch at FM 2268.
- Began constructing abutments for the new FM 2268 crossing bridge.
Down the road
- Shift both northbound and southbound mainlane traffic to restriped lanes with center concrete barrier wall, and begin construction in the center median of the support columns for the new FM 2268 crossing bridge.
- Continue northbound frontage road construction from Thomas Arnold Rd. to Salado Plaza Dr.
- Begin work on the Salado Creek northbound frontage road bridge.
- Continue excavation and road base for the Main Street connection to I-35.
Section 1C: Salado to belton (FM 2484 to us 190/fm 436)
- Began laying concrete pavement on the northbound mainlanes from the Lampasas River to Shanklin Rd.
Down the Road
- Continue laying concrete pavement on the northbound mainlanes from the Lampasas River to Shanklin Rd.
- Continue work on the northbound frontage road from Tahuaya Rd. to Loop 121.
- Continue work on the northbound mainlanes and culverts from FM 2484 to Tahuaya Rd.
- Continue work on the retaining walls at the crossover bridges.
- Continue construction of the new Loop 121 bridge.
Section 3A-1: TEMPLE TO TROY (N. LOOP 363 TO N. TROY CITY LIMIT)
- Kevin Reily Drive (0.4 miles north of N. Loop 363) will be closed at the southbound frontage road until further notice. Access will be maintained for the business on the street, and access will be open from Old US 81.
- Began constructing a detour for the northbound frontage road construction.
Down the Road
- Continue constructing a detour for northbound frontage road construction.
- Convert the eastside (northbound) frontage road from two-way to one-way from Berger Rd. to FM 935.
- Complete paving of Old Waco Rd. and switch traffic to that road.
- Continue excavating and building the embankment on the south end of the project (near Temple).
- Continue work on the Little Elm Creek southbound frontage-road bridge.
- Continue installing culverts on the south end of the project.
- Continue work on the detour pavement between the northbound and southbound mainlanes at the south end of the project.
- Continue work on the new underpass crossing bridge south of Troy.
Section 3A-2: TROY to bruceville-eddy (N. TROY CITY LIMIT to woodlawn rd.)
- Until fall 2013, the southbound frontage road will be closed from Roberts Cemetery to Big Elm Rd. This will allow the demolition and rebuilding of the new frontage road and bridge over Big Elm Creek. Frontage-road traffic traveling south from Big Elm Rd. will have to enter the freeway, except for local traffic only, south of Big Elm Creek. A temporary turnaround has been constructed near Roberts Cemetery.
- Completed the new southbound frontage road bridge at Deer Creek.
Down the Road
- Continue construction of the new southbound frontage road between Big Elm Creek and FM 107.
- Continue construction of Old Moody Rd. and Grider St. in Bruceville-Eddy.
- Begin paving the new southbound frontage road.
- Continue utility relocations.
- Continue construction of Big Elm Creek bridge.
Section 3B: LORENA TO HEWITT (WOODLAWN RD. TO SUN VALLEY BLVD./FM 2063)
- Installed the metal bridge rail for the southbound frontage road bridge at Bullhide Creek.
- Completed construction of the columns and caps for the FM 2113 flyover.
- Began demolishing the old southbound frontage roads from FM 1695/Moonlight Dr. to N. FM 2837.
- Began erecting steel girders at the FM 2113 flyover.
Down the Road
- Continue relocating utilities.
- Continue installing pavement for the new northbound frontage road from S. Old Bruceville Rd. to FM 2837 and from FM 3148 (Moonlight Dr.) to FM 2063/Sun Valley Rd.
- Set beams for N. FM 2837 underpasses (this work will require full mainlane closures).
- Begin pouring the bridge deck on the northbound frontage road at N. Cow Bayou.
- Complete construction of the embankment, retaining wall, and pavement for the FM 2113 flyover.
- Complete setting of the precast concrete beams on the approach end of the flyover.
- Continue work on the temporary retaining wall and detour at the FM 1695/Moonlight Dr. underpass.
- Pour the N. FM 2837 bridge column cap in the center median.
- Complete demolition of the old southbound frontage roads from FM 1695/Moonlight Dr. to N. FM 2837; begin work on the new southbound mainlanes.
- Complete placement of the steel girders at the FM 2113 flyover (this will require full mainlane closures).
BRAZOS RIVER BRIDGES (WACO)
- Access roads and turnarounds under I-35 on both sides of the river are closed.
- Access to Buzzard Billy's restaurant has been moved to the east side of I-35 until a detour on the west side is completed.
- The sidewalk crossing under I-35 on the south side of the Brazos River is closed as construction in the river continues.
- Began construction of the southbound bridge pylons (columns extending above the water line).
- Began the northbound frontage-road bridge foundations.
- Began construction of the temporary driveway for outbound traffic from Buzzard Billy's through the back of the Oncor property to MLK.
- Began relocating telecommunications along University Parks, from Ross Ave. (on the west side of I-35) to Dutton St. (on the east side).
- Completed the drill shafts/bridge foundations for the southbound frontage road.
Down the Road
- Continue construction of the southbound bridge pylons (columns extending above the water line).
- Continue northbound frontage-road bridge foundations.
- Complete construction of the temporary driveway for outbound traffic from Buzzard Billy's through the back of the Oncor property to MLK.
- Switch Buzzard Billy's traffic to the entrance at the new driveway on the southbound frontage road and to exit on the temporary driveway through the back of the Oncor property.
- Continue relocating telecommunications along University Parks, from Ross Ave. (on the west side of I-35) to Dutton St. (on the east side).
- Continue the relocation of utilities (sewer, water, telecommunications).
- Continue stabilizing ground and placing box culverts.
- Complete construction of retaining walls for Buzzard Billy's new driveway.
- Continue construction of the retaining walls in southeast, southwest, and northwest quadrants.
Section 5A: WACO TO WEST (N. LOOP 340 TO FM 1858)
- The Wiggins Rd. crossover is closed for demolition and is expected to be closed for 12-18 months. Tours Rd. (next crossing to the south) and Tokio Rd. (next crossing to the north) are open.
- Main St. in Elm Mott is permanently closed to through traffic at the southbound frontage road.
- The Hilltop Rd. bridge is closed for the intersection/bridge reconstruction. The segment of the southbound frontage road from Meadowlawn Rd. to Hilltop will be permanently converted to one way. This closure is expected to last for 12-18 months, and completion of the reconstruction is anticipated in late 2013 or early 2014. Crossings at FM 308 to the south and Ross Rd. to the north will be open.
- The exit and entrance ramps to/from Wiggins will be closed until the new northbound mainlanes are completed.
- Removed the old bridge at Wiggins Rd.
- Began installing permanent signs on the south end of the project, from BUS 77 to Loop 340.
- Began drilling shafts for support columns for the new Wiggins Rd. crossing bridge.
Down the Road
- Complete striping for section of BUS 77/Old Dallas Rd.
- Finish illumination under the Crest, Craven, and Meyers bridges.
- Switch cross-traffic on the FM 1858 intersection to the new bridge and demolish the old bridge.
- Add rumble strips to the edges of the mainlanes on the south end, from BUS 77 to Loop 340.
- Continue installing permanent signs from BUS 77 to LOOP 340. (Once permanent signs are in place at the BUS 77, Craven, and Meyers intersections, they will change from four-way stops to two-way stops, with the frontage road traffic not stopping.)
- Complete drill shafts at Wiggins Rd. and begin building the new northbound mainlanes bridge.
- Continue work on the northbound frontage road between Tours Rd. and FM 1858/Tokio Rd.
- Continue work on the southbound frontage road between Ross Rd. and Hilltop St.
- Continue work on the southbound mainlanes between Hilltop St. and BUS 77.
- Continue work on the retaining walls at FM 1858/Tokio Rd.
Section 5B: WEST TO ABBOTT (FM 1858/TOKIO RD. TO FM 1304)
- The southbound exit 354 (the Marable St. exit) will be closed beginning Monday, January 21, and will remain closed during the construction of this portion of the southbound frontage road until a new exit is built. A message sign will notify the traveling public of the closure.
- The southbound exit ramp to County Line Rd. has been closed and a temporary ramp opened. Traffic on the southbound frontage road will be detoured around the existing County Line Rd. crossing until the new frontage road is built, possibly as late as summer 2013.
- Completed the bridge deck for the County Line Rd. overpass.
- Began concrete pavement for the southbound frontage road from FM 2114 to FM 1858/Tokio Rd.
- Completed laying asphalt for the new northbound frontage roads from FM 1242 northward and connected them to the new frontage roads north of Abbott.
- Completed retaining-wall mural at the southwest corner of FM 2114/Oak St.
Down the Road
- Begin concrete pavement on the southbound frontage road and the northbound intersection at FM 1242.
- Continue paving the west side of the Marable St. intersections and connect it to the completed sections near FM 2114/Oak St.
- Pour the concrete approach slabs and pavement leading up to the County Line Rd. overpass.
- Complete concrete pavement for the southbound frontage road from FM 2114 to FM 1858/Tokio Rd.
- Continue building the road base for the new northbound mainlanes.
- Pour concrete pavement at the HCR 3102 intersection.
- Begin concrete pavement for the new northbound frontage roads from FM 1242 northward and connect them to the new frontage roads north of Abbott.
- Continue building the new southbound main lanes on the southwest corner of the FM 2114 overpass.
- Continue building the new northbound mainlanes between County Line Rd. and FM 1242.
- Pour concrete pavement for the center mainlanes from just north of FM 1242 to FM 1304.
Section 5C: ABBOTT TO SOUTH OF HILLSBORO (FM 1304 TO FM 310)
Down the Road
- Complete lighting.
SAFETY REST AREAS (HILL COUNTY)
- Seeded landscape areas.
Down the Road
- Continue installing sidewalks and sidewalk pavers, and detail work, painting, electrical work, plumbing, and interior finishing.
- Continue detail work including wall and floor tiles, paint, mechanical, plumbing, electrical, and lighting.
- Begin researching local features for interior exhibits.