My35 Central Texas News
Roberts Cemetery and the I-35 Expansion Project: Respecting the Past, Preparing for the Future
When one digs in the dirt for a living, sometimes things get uncovered that were supposed to stay buried. When it comes to highway construction like the I-35 project, planning is key to avoiding costly delays during construction. For that reason, in 2008, archeologists from the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) began surveying the right of way for the I-35 Expansion Project. | Read More
New Rest Areas Reflect Local History, Culture
When Andy Keith, the supervisor for TxDOT's Safety Rest Area Program, and his team of architects, planners and historians get excited talking about the two sets of safety rest areas (SRAs) being built in Bell and Hill Counties, you have to wonder what the fuss is all about. After all, they are just rest areas, right? But these aren't your grandfather's rest areas. | Read More
Section 1B: SALADO (FM 2843 to FM 2484)
- Demolished the northbound Salado Creek mainlane bridge.
- Completed the northbound frontage road from Thomas Arnold to North Main St.
Down the road
- Continue construction on the FM 2484 bridge.
- Continue work on the northbound frontage road from FM 2843 to North Main St.
- Demolish the existing northbound frontage road bridges.
- Continue excavation and wall construction under the northbound frontage road for the Main Street connection (the big hole).
- Continue construction on the southbound frontage road at FM 2268 and to the south.
- Begin constructing northbound mainlane Salado Creek bridge.
- Begin constructing FM 2268 bridge.
- Open the southbound frontage road closure from FM 2268 to FM 2843.
Section 1C: Salado to belton (FM 2484 to us 190/fm 436)
- Completed the bridge deck for Loop 121.
Down the Road
- Continue building the Loop 121 bridge rail.
- Continue construction of the southbound mainlane and frontage road from FM 436 to Loop 121.
- Continue paving the northbound mainlanes from Amity to Tahuaya Rd.
- Continue installation of illumination poles.
- Continue wall construction at various locations.
- Continue construction of the northbound frontage road from Tahuaya Rd. to Loop 121.
Section 3A-1: TEMPLE TO TROY (N. LOOP 363 TO N. TROY CITY LIMIT)
- Completed pouring the bridge rail on the Little Elm Creek southbound frontage-road bridge.
- Completed installation of the retaining wall near the new underpass bridge south of Troy.
Down the Road
- Continue constructing a detour for northbound frontage road construction.
- Convert the eastside (northbound) frontage road from two way to one way from Berger Rd. to FM 935.
- Continue excavating and building the embankment near Berger/Hart Rds. on the south end of the project (near Temple).
- Complete work on the Little Elm Creek southbound frontage-road bridge rail.
- Continue work on the detour pavement between the northbound and southbound mainlanes at the south end of the project.
- Continue work on the new underpass crossing bridge south of Troy.
- Begin paving the southbound frontage road.
- Complete installation of the retaining wall rail near the new underpass bridge south of Troy.
- Begin installing riprap along various areas of southbound frontage road ditches
- Begin installing the curb along the southbound frontage road.
- Begin installing the retaining wall near FM 1237/Pendleton Rd.
Section 3A-2: TROY to bruceville-eddy (N. TROY CITY LIMIT to woodlawn rd.)
- Until fall 2013, the southbound frontage road will be closed from Roberts Cemetery to Big Elm Rd. This will allow the demolition and rebuilding of the new frontage road and bridge over Big Elm Creek. Frontage-road traffic traveling south from Big Elm Rd. will have to enter the freeway, except for local traffic only, south of Big Elm Creek. A temporary turnaround has been constructed near Roberts Cemetery.
- Installed pavement from Deer Creek to Old Blevins Rd.
- Demolished the Old Blevins Rd. bridge.
Down the Road
- Continue building the road base from Old Blevins Rd. to FM 107.
- Continue utility relocations.
- Excavation and embankment for the new northbound frontage road from FM 107 to the railroad crossing in Bruceville-Eddy.
- Continue constructing the I-35 mainlane detour.
- Continue constructing the southbound frontage road between Big Elm Creek and FM 107.
- Begin building the road base on the northbound frontage road from FM 107 to the railroad crossing.
- Begin building the road base and paving on the I-35 mainlane detour.
- Complete the new southbound frontage road connection at Hillside Dr.
Section 3B: LORENA TO HEWITT (WOODLAWN RD. TO SUN VALLEY BLVD./FM 2063)
- Completed relocating City of Robinson, Atmos, and Sunoco utilities.
- Completed construction of the embankment, retaining wall, and pavement for the FM 2113 flyover.
- Completed work on the temporary retaining wall and detour at the FM 1695/Moonlight Dr. underpass.
- Completed pouring the bridge deck and concrete portion of the traffic rail on the FM 2113 flyover.
- Completed pouring the south half of the bridge deck on S. FM 2837.
Down the Road
- Continue relocating utilities.
- Complete installing pavement for the new northbound frontage road from S. Old Bruceville Rd. to FM 2837 and from FM 3148 (Moonlight Dr.) to FM 2063/Sun Valley Rd.
- Set beams for N. FM 2837 underpasses (this work will require full mainlane closures).
- Pour the N. FM 2837 bridge column cap in the center median.
- Complete demolition of the old southbound frontage roads from FM 1695/Moonlight Dr. to N. FM 2837.
- Begin work on the new northbound mainlanes from FM 3148 to FM 2063.
- Complete the metal rail on the FM 2113 flyover.
- Open the new FM 2113 flyover.
- Continue work on southbound mainlanes from N. FM 2837 to FM 3148
- Open the new northbound frontage road from Bruceville-Eddy to Lorena.
- Begin the Callan Ranch Rd. (formerly Telephone Rd.) overpass and Woodlawn Rd. bridge.
BRAZOS RIVER BRIDGES (WACO)
- Access roads and turnarounds under I-35 on both sides of the river are closed.
- Access to Buzzard Billy's restaurant has been moved to the east side of I-35 until a detour on the west side is completed.
- The sidewalk crossing under I-35 on the south side of the Brazos River is closed as construction in the river continues.
- Completed the northbound frontage-road bridge foundations.
- Completed relocating telecommunications along University Parks from Ross Ave. (on the west side of I-35) to Dutton St. (on the east side).
- Completed the relocation of utilities (sewer, water, telecommunications).
- Completed construction of the retaining walls for Buzzard Billy's new driveway.
Down the Road
- Complete construction of the southbound bridge pylons (columns extending above the water line).
- Complete construction of the temporary driveway for outbound traffic from Buzzard Billy's through the back of the Oncor property to MLK.
- Continue stabilizing ground and placing box culverts.
- Continue construction of the retaining walls in southeast, southwest, and northwest quadrants.
- Set the southbound frontage-road bridge beams.
- Open the new Buzzard Billy's driveways (permanent entrance and temporary exit).
- Begin ground stabilization for the retaining walls in northeast quadrant
- Complete pylons for the northbound frontage-road bridge.
- Begin building bridge approaches in the northeast and southwest quadrants.
Section 5A: WACO TO WEST (N. LOOP 340 TO FM 1858)
- The Wiggins Rd. crossover is closed for demolition and is expected to be closed for 12-18 months. Tours Rd. (next crossing to the south) and Tokio Rd. (next crossing to the north) are open.
- Main St. in Elm Mott is permanently closed to through traffic at the southbound frontage road.
- The Hilltop Rd. bridge is closed for the intersection/bridge reconstruction. The segment of the southbound frontage road from Meadowlawn Rd. to Hilltop will be permanently converted to one way. This closure is expected to last for 12-18 months, and completion of the reconstruction is anticipated in late 2013 or early 2014. Crossings at FM 308 to the south and Ross Rd. to the north will be open.
- The exit and entrance ramps to/from Wiggins will be closed until the new northbound mainlanes are completed.
- Shifted southbound mainlane traffic to the permanent pavement north of Hilltop Rd. and opened the southbound exit to FM 308.
- Demolished the old FM 1858/Tokio Rd. bridge.
- Began construction for the northbound frontage-road intersection on the west side of Hilltop Rd.
Down the Road
- Continue construction for the southbound frontage-road intersection on the west side of Hilltop Rd
- Continue construction for the northbound frontage-road intersection on the east side of Wiggins Rd.
- Switch cross-traffic on the FM 1858/Tokio Rd. intersection to the new bridge.
- Continue installing permanent signs from BUS 77 to Loop 340. (Once permanent signs are in place at the BUS 77, Craven Ave., and Meyers Ln. intersections, these intersections will change from four-way stops to two-way stops. The frontage road traffic will not stop.)
- Continue work on the southbound frontage road between Ross Rd. and Hilltop St.
- Continue work on the northbound mainlanes between Hilltop St. and FM 1858.
- Continue work on the retaining walls at FM 1858/Tokio Rd.
Section 5B: WEST TO ABBOTT (FM 1858/TOKIO RD. TO FM 1304)
- The southbound exit 354 (the Marable St. exit) will be closed beginning Monday, January 21, and will remain closed during the construction of this portion of the southbound frontage road until a new exit is built. A message sign will notify the traveling public of the closure.
- The southbound exit ramp to County Line Rd. has been closed and a temporary ramp opened. Traffic on the southbound frontage road will be detoured around the existing County Line Rd. crossing until the new frontage road is built, possibly as late as summer 2013.
- Completed planned paving of the new northbound frontage roads from FM 1242 northward.
- Completed planned paving of the new southbound frontage road and the northbound intersection at FM 1242.
- Completed planned paving on the west side of the Marable St. intersections and the HCR 3102 intersection.
- Moved traffic onto the new southbound frontage road between FM 1242 and County Line Rd.
- Began seeding and stabilizing new ditches throughout the project.
Down the Road
- Complete pouring concrete for the center mainlane pavement just south of the FM 1242 overpass.
- Complete retaining walls on the southwest corner of the FM 2114 overpass.
- Move traffic onto the new Marable St. overpass and the northbound and southbound frontage-road intersections.
- Move traffic onto the new County Line Rd. overpass, along with the northbound and southbound frontage-road intersections.
- Open a temporary southbound County Line Rd. entrance ramp and close the existing ramp.
- Complete the center mainlane pavement just south of the FM 1242 overpass.
- Move northbound mainlane traffic onto the newly paved center section and remove the existing mainlanes and start new construction.
- Close the existing northbound exit ramp for FM 1304. (Traffic will exit at the FM 1242 ramp, Exit 358.)
- Begin work on the remaining areas of the southbound frontage road near FM 1242 and County Line Rd.
- Demolish the existing County Line Rd. overpass and move traffic onto the new overpass.
- Continue seeding and stabilizing new ditches throughout the project.
- Begin concrete pavement on the northbound mainlanes between County Line Rd. and FM 1242.
- Begin concrete pavement on the southbound mainlanes between County Line Rd. and FM 2114.
- Pour the southbound mainlane section of the FM 2114 bridge deck.
Section 5C: ABBOTT TO SOUTH OF HILLSBORO (FM 1304 TO FM 310)
Down the Road
- Begin installing permanent erosion control devices.
SAFETY REST AREAS (HILL COUNTY)
Note: The expected completion date has been pushed back indefinitely at this time. A subcontractor has to be replaced before the detail work can be completed.
- Completed placing topsoil.
Down the Road
- Begin installing grass paving on the shoulders of parking areas.
- Finish sidewalks on the southbound side. Continue installing sidewalks on the northbound side.
- Finish remaining wall and roofs (northbound).
- Continue detailed work including tiles, paint, mechanical, electrical and lighting, and plumbing.
- Continue developing the interior exhibits.