My35 Central Texas News
West Tragedy Hits Home for Retiring TxDOT Employee
The phone rang and Jim Busby's mother-in-law was on the other end. Frightened, her voice shaking, she managed to tell the TxDOT safety officer that the West, Texas, fertilizer plant had just exploded. Her home, less than half a mile away, was hit hard, with all the windows blown out. Knowing that she was okay, Busby's thoughts immediately turned to his wife's aunt, who was a resident of the West Rest Haven Nursing Home located just 300 yards from the plant. Was she hurt? Was she alive? | Read More
A High-Tech Solution to Barreling Through Construction Zones
A highway construction effort as massive as the I-35 Expansion Project occasionally requires nighttime lane closures to decrease motorist inconvenience. But lane closures, particularly at night, increase the hazards drivers face. | Read More
Section 1B: SALADO (FM 2843 to FM 2484)
- Demolished the old northbound frontage road bridges.
- Began constructing the northbound mainlane Salado Creek bridge.
Down the road
- Continue construction on the FM 2484 bridge.
- Continue work on the northbound frontage road from FM 2843 to North Main St.
- Continue excavation and wall construction under the northbound frontage road for the Main Street connection (the big hole).
- Continue construction on the southbound frontage road at FM 2268 and to the south.
- Begin constructing FM 2268 bridge.
- Open the southbound frontage road closure from FM 2268 to FM 2843.
Section 1C: Salado to belton (FM 2484 to us 190/fm 436)
- Completed building the Loop 121 bridge rail.
Down the Road
- Continue construction of the southbound mainlane and frontage road from FM 436 to Loop 121.
- Continue paving the northbound mainlanes from Amity to Tahuaya Rd.
- Continue installation of illumination poles.
- Continue wall construction at various locations.
- Continue construction of the northbound frontage road from Tahuaya Rd. to Loop 121.
- Pour concrete paving on the new northbound mainlanes at various locations.
- Install traffic light poles at FM 436 and the frontage roads.
SECTION 2B: TEMPLE (S. LOOP 363 TO N. LOOP 363)
- Pre-construction meeting held April 10.
- Groundbreaking held May 9.
Down the Road
- Continue demolition of buildings on the new right of way.
- Moving utilities inside the new right of way.
Section 3A-1: TEMPLE TO TROY (N. LOOP 363 TO N. TROY CITY LIMIT)
- Completed installation of the retaining wall near the new underpass bridge south of Troy.
- Converted the northbound frontage road from two way to one way from Berger Rd. to FM 935.
- Began installing riprap along various areas of the southbound frontage road ditches.
- Began installing the curb along the southbound frontage road.
- Began constructing the southbound frontage road between the south end of the project and FM 1237/Pendleton Rd.
Down the Road
- Continue constructing a detour for northbound frontage road construction.
- Continue work on the Little Elm Creek southbound frontage-road bridge rail.
- Continue work on the detour pavement between the northbound and southbound mainlanes at the south end of the project.
- Continue work on the new underpass crossing bridge south of Troy.
- Continue installing riprap along various areas of the southbound frontage road ditches.
- Continue installing the curb along the southbound frontage road.
- Begin installing the retaining wall near FM 1237/Pendleton Rd.
- Continue constructing southbound frontage road between the south end of the project and FM 1237/Pendleton Rd.
Section 3A-2: TROY to bruceville-eddy (N. TROY CITY LIMIT to woodlawn rd.)
- Until fall 2013, the southbound frontage road will be closed from Roberts Cemetery to Big Elm Rd. This will allow the demolition and rebuilding of the new frontage road and bridge over Big Elm Creek. Frontage-road traffic traveling south from Big Elm Rd. will have to enter the freeway, except for local traffic only, south of Big Elm Creek. A temporary turnaround has been constructed near Roberts Cemetery.
- Closed the northbound Old Blevins Rd. exit ramp to complete the mainlane detour.
- Completed the new southbound frontage road connection at Hillside Dr.
- Began building the road base on the northbound frontage road from FM 107 to the railroad crossing.
- Began building the road base and paving on the I-35 mainlane detour.
Down the Road
- Switch the southbound frontage road traffic from two way to one way from Old Blevins Rd. to Big Elm Rd
- Place cement-treated base on the new northbound frontage road north of FM 107.
- Continue building the road base from Old Blevins Rd. to FM 107.
- Continue utility relocations.
- Continue excavation and embankment for the new northbound frontage road from FM 107 to the railroad crossing in Bruceville-Eddy.
- Continue constructing the I-35 mainlane detour.
- Continue constructing the southbound frontage road between Big Elm Creek and FM 107.
- Continue building the road base on the northbound frontage road from FM 107 to the railroad crossing.
- Continue building the road base and paving on the I-35 mainlane detour.
Section 3B: LORENA TO HEWITT (WOODLAWN RD. TO SUN VALLEY BLVD./FM 2063)
- Completed relocating City of Robinson, Atmos, and Sunoco utilities.
- Completed and opened the direct connect from FM 2113/Spring Valley Rd. to I-35 northbound.
- Set beams at N. FM 2837/Old Lorena Rd.
- Switched traffic to new pavement and one-way travel on the southbound frontage road in Lorena.
- Completed ramps for the northbound frontage road from S. Old Bruceville Rd. to FM 2837/Rosenthal Rd.
- Completed installing pavement for the new northbound frontage road from S. Old Bruceville Rd. to FM 2837/Rosenthal Rd. and from FM 3148/Moonlight Dr. to FM 2063/Sun Valley Rd.
- Set beams for N. FM 2837 underpasses.
- Poured the N. FM 2837 bridge column cap in the center median.
- Completed demolition of the old southbound frontage roads from FM 1695/Moonlight Dr. to N. FM 2837.
- Completed the metal rail on the FM 2113 flyover.
- Opened the new FM 2113 flyover connecting to northbound I-35.
- Opened the new northbound frontage road from Bruceville-Eddy to Lorena.
Down the Road
- Continue relocating utilities.
- Begin work on the new northbound mainlanes from FM 3148 to FM 2063.
- Continue work on southbound mainlanes from N. FM 2837 to FM 3148
- Open the new northbound frontage road from Bruceville-Eddy to Lorena.
- Begin the Callan Ranch Rd. (formerly Telephone Rd.) overpass and Woodlawn Rd. bridge.
- Begin the Moonlight Drive overpass.
- Begin the northbound mainlanes from S. Old Bruceville Rd. to FM 2837/Rosenthal Rd.
- Switch traffic on the northbound frontage road to new pavement in Lorena to begin I-35 northbound main lanes.
BRAZOS RIVER BRIDGES (WACO)
- Access roads and turnarounds under I-35 on both sides of the river are closed.
- Access to and from Buzzard Billy's restaurant has been moved to the east side of I-35 until a detour on the west side is completed.
- The sidewalk crossing under I-35 on the south side of the Brazos River is closed as construction in the river continues.
- Completed all drilled shafts in the Brazos River.
- Opened Buzzard Billy's driveway and the temporary exit along MLK.
- Completed relocation of all utilities.
- Completed footings in the river for bridge supports.
- Began building bridge approaches in the northeast and southwest quadrants.
Down the Road
- Complete construction of the southbound bridge pylons (columns extending above the water line).
- Continue stabilizing ground and placing box culverts.
- Continue construction of the retaining walls in southeast, southwest, and northwest quadrants.
- Set the southbound frontage-road bridge beams.
- Begin ground stabilization for the retaining walls in the northeast quadrant.
- Complete pylons for the northbound frontage-road bridge.
- Continue building bridge approaches in the northeast and southwest quadrants.
- Set the northbound frontage-road bridge beams.
- Pour concrete pavement on the southbound frontage road bridge.
Section 5A: WACO TO WEST (N. LOOP 340 TO FM 1858)
- The Wiggins Rd. crossover is closed for demolition and is expected to be closed for 12-18 months. Tours Rd. (next crossing to the south) and Tokio Rd. (next crossing to the north) are open.
- Main St. in Elm Mott is permanently closed to through traffic at the southbound frontage road.
- The Hilltop Rd. bridge is closed for the intersection/bridge reconstruction. The segment of the southbound frontage road from Meadowlawn Rd. to Hilltop will be permanently converted to one way. This closure is expected to last for 12-18 months, and completion of the reconstruction is anticipated in late 2013 or early 2014. Crossings at FM 308 to the south and Ross Rd. to the north will be open.
- The exit and entrance ramps to/from Wiggins will be closed until the new northbound mainlanes are completed.
- Switched cross-traffic on the FM 1858/Tokio Rd. intersection to the new bridge.
- Converted traffic on the east frontage road (northbound frontage road) to one-way traffic from Tours Rd. to FM 1858/Tokio Rd.
Down the Road
- Switch northbound mainlanes to new pavement from Tours Rd. to FM 1858/Tokio Rd.
- Continue construction for the southbound frontage-road intersection on the west side of Hilltop Rd.
- Continue construction for the northbound frontage-road intersection on the east side of Wiggins Rd.
- Complete approaches to the FM 1858/Tokio Rd. bridge.
- Continue installing permanent signs from BUS 77 to Loop 340. (Once permanent signs are in place at the BUS 77, Craven Ave., and Meyers Ln. intersections, these intersections will change from four-way stops to two-way stops. The frontage road traffic will not stop.)
- Continue work on the southbound frontage road between Ross Rd. and Hilltop St.
- Continue work on the northbound mainlanes between Hilltop St. and FM 1858.
- Continue work on the retaining walls at FM 1858/Tokio Rd.
- Begin construction of the southbound mainlanes at the tie-in to the 5B project to the north.
- Convert traffic for the east (northbound) frontage road to one-way traffic from FM 1858/Tokio Rd. to FM 2114/Oak St. in West (in coordination with the 5B project to the north).
Section 5B: WEST TO ABBOTT (FM 1858/TOKIO RD. TO FM 1304)
- The southbound exit 354 (the Marable St. exit) will be closed beginning Monday, January 21, and will remain closed during the construction of this portion of the southbound frontage road until a new exit is built. A message sign will notify the traveling public of the closure.
- The southbound exit ramp to County Line Rd. has been closed and a temporary ramp opened. Traffic on the southbound frontage road will be detoured around the existing County Line Rd. crossing until the new frontage road is built, possibly as late as summer 2013.
- Completed the center mainlane pavement just south of the FM 1242 overpass.
- Completed retaining walls on the southwest corner of the FM 2114 overpass.
- Moved traffic onto the new Marable St. overpass and the northbound and southbound frontage-road intersections.
- Moved traffic onto the new County Line Rd. overpass, along with the northbound and southbound frontage-road intersections.
- Opened a temporary southbound County Line Rd. entrance ramp and closed the existing ramp.
- Moved northbound mainlane traffic onto the newly paved center section and began removing the old pavement at FM 1242.
- Started construction on new northbound mainlanes at FM 1242.
- Closed the existing northbound exit ramp for FM 1304 and traffic using Abbott exit (FM 1242, exit 358).
- Began work on the remaining areas of the southbound frontage road near FM 1242 and County Line Rd.
- Demolished the existing County Line Rd. overpass and moved traffic onto the new overpass.
- Began constructing concrete pavement on the northbound mainlanes between County Line Rd. and FM 1242.
- Began constructing concrete pavement on the southbound mainlanes between County Line Rd. and FM 2114.
- Poured the southbound mainlane section of the FM 2114 bridge deck.
Down the Road
- Continue removing the old pavement at FM 1242.
- Continue construction on new northbound mainlanes at FM 1242.
- Continue seeding and stabilizing new ditches throughout the project.
- Continue work on the remaining areas of the southbound frontage road near FM 1242 and County Line Rd.
- Continue concrete pavement on the northbound mainlanes between County Line Rd. and FM 1242.
- Continue concrete pavement on the southbound mainlanes between County Line Rd. and FM 1858/Tokio Rd.
- Build retaining walls at the Abbott FM 1242 intersection.
- Begin construction on the northbound FM 1242 overpass.
Section 5C: ABBOTT TO SOUTH OF HILLSBORO (FM 1304 TO FM 310)
Down the Road
- Begin installing permanent erosion control devices.
SAFETY REST AREAS (HILL COUNTY)
- Completed roofs and exterior walls.
Down the Road
- Continue detail work including tiles, paint, mechanical, electrical and lighting, and plumbing.
- Continue developing the interior exhibits.
- Begin playground installation.
- Begin irrigation installation.