My35 Central Texas News
To keep drivers safe in I-35 work zones, the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) uses signs of every shape, size and technology type. Some are familiar to motorists, while others are exclusive to the I-35 corridor and appear there for the first time anywhere. Every driver is accustomed to black-on-white highway regulatory signs and black-on-orange construction work zone signs along the roadway. Speed Limits, Construction Speed Zones and Construction Lane Changes are common examples, but numerous other sign types exist that motorists might not be as familiar with. | Read More
The Grass Is Always Greener at the Hill County Safety Rest Areas
There's a revolution taking place in the construction and design of Texas' new safety rest areas (SRAs). Some of the new design features are the obvious and big things you can see, but some are small, intricate details you might never notice. Two I-35 SRAs in Hill County are being constructed with grass paving. This alternative to a concrete surface is installed similarly to how roads are constructed; but, instead of an asphalt or concrete surface, the top layer is grass or other vegetation that won't be damaged by the weight of fully loaded 18-wheelers. | Read More
Section 1B: SALADO (FM 2843 to FM 2484)
- Completed work on the northbound frontage road from FM 2843 to North Main St.
- Began construction on the northbound frontage road bridge over Salado Creek
- Began construction on the FM 2268 bridge.
- Began construction of the northbound mainlanes from FM 2843 to FM 2268.
Down the road
- Continue construction on the FM 2484 bridge.
- Continue excavation and wall construction under the northbound frontage road for the Main Street connection (the big hole).
- Continue construction on the southbound frontage road at FM 2268 and to the south.
- Begin constructing the FM 2268 bridge.
- Open the southbound frontage road closure from FM 2268 to FM 2843.
Section 1C: Salado to belton (FM 2484 to us 190/fm 436)
- Completed installation of the high-mast illumination poles at the I-35/US 190 interchange.
- Completed the northbound on- and off-ramp changes between FM 2484 and Loop 121.
- Opened the northbound frontage road from Tahuaya Rd. to Loop 121.
- Converted the southbound access road to one-way from Loop 121 to FM 2484.
- Installed bat houses under the northbound mainlane and northbound frontage road bridges (replacing habitat areas under existing bridges).
Down the Road
- Continue construction of the southbound mainlane and frontage road from FM 436 to Loop 121.
- Continue paving the northbound mainlanes from Amity Rd. to Tahuaya Rd.
- Continue wall construction at various locations.
- Pour concrete paving on the new northbound mainlanes at various locations.
- Install traffic light poles at FM 436 and the frontage roads.
SECTION 2B: TEMPLE (S. LOOP 363 TO N. LOOP 363)
Down the Road
- Continue demolition of buildings on the new right of way.
- Moving utilities inside the new right of way.
Section 3A-1: TEMPLE TO TROY (N. LOOP 363 TO N. TROY CITY LIMIT)
- Completed detour pavement between the northbound and southbound mainlanes at the south end of the project.
- Shifted northbound mainlane traffic onto the center median detour.
- Began installing retaining wall near FM 1237/Pendleton Rd.
- Began work on the retaining wall for the southbound frontage road just south of FM 935/Main St. in Troy.
- Started on the columns for the new underpass crossing bridge south of Troy.
Down the Road
- Continue constructing a detour for northbound frontage road construction.
- Continue work on the Little Elm Creek southbound frontage-road bridge rail.
- Continue work on the new underpass crossing bridge south of Troy.
- Continue installing riprap along various areas of the southbound frontage road ditches.
- Continue installing the curb along the southbound frontage road.
- Continue installing the retaining wall near FM 1237/Pendleton Rd.
- Continue constructing the southbound frontage road between the south end of the project and FM 1237/Pendleton Rd.
- Begin work on a new detour between northbound frontage road and northbound mainlanes about 1 mile south of FM 935 in Troy.
Section 3A-2: TROY to bruceville-eddy (N. TROY CITY LIMIT to woodlawn rd.)
- Until fall 2013, the southbound frontage road will be closed from Roberts Cemetery to Big Elm Rd. This will allow the demolition and rebuilding of the new frontage road and bridge over Big Elm Creek. Frontage-road traffic traveling south from Big Elm Rd. will have to enter the freeway, except for local traffic only, south of Big Elm Creek. A temporary turnaround has been constructed near Roberts Cemetery.
- Switched the southbound frontage road traffic from two way to one way from Old Blevins Rd. to Big Elm Rd.
- Completed placement of the cement-treated base on the new northbound frontage road north of FM 107.
Down the Road
- Switch the northbound mainlane traffic to a detour section near Old Blevins Rd.
- Begin constructing the southbound mainlanes between Big Elm Rd and Old Blevins Rd.
- Continue building the road base from Old Blevins Rd. to FM 107.
- Continue utility relocations.
- Continue excavation and embankment for the new northbound frontage road from FM 107 to the railroad crossing in Bruceville-Eddy.
- Continue constructing the I-35 mainlane detour.
- Continue constructing the southbound frontage road between Big Elm Creek and FM 107.
- Continue building the road base on the northbound frontage road from FM 107 to the railroad crossing.
- Continue building the road base and paving on the I-35 mainlane detour.
Section 3B: LORENA TO HEWITT (WOODLAWN RD. TO SUN VALLEY BLVD./FM 2063)
- Began work on the new northbound mainlanes from FM 2148 to FM 2063.
- Opened the new northbound frontage road from Bruceville-Eddy to Lorena.
- Began work on the Moonlight Dr. overpass.
- Begin work on the Callan Ranch Rd. (formerly Telephone Rd.) overpass and Woodlawn Rd. bridge.
- Began the northbound mainlanes from S. Old Bruceville Rd. to FM 2837/Rosenthal Rd.
Down the Road
- Continue relocating utilities.
- Continue work on the new northbound mainlanes from FM 2148 to FM 2063.
- Complete work on the southbound mainlanes from N. FM 2837 to FM 2148.
- Continue the Callan Ranch Rd. (formerly Telephone Rd.) overpass.
- Complete Woodlawn Rd. bridge columns and abutments. Begin setting beams.
- Continue work on the Moonlight Dr. overpass.
- Continue the northbound mainlanes from S. Old Bruceville Rd. to FM 2837/Rosenthal Rd.
- Switch traffic on the northbound frontage road to new pavement in Lorena to begin I-35 northbound main lanes.
- Begin pouring N. FM 2837 bridge deck.
- Begin setting beams at FM 1695/Moonlight Rd.
- Begin setting beams at Woodlawn Rd.
- Begin frontage road construction from N. FM 2837 to FM 1695/Moonlight Rd.
BRAZOS RIVER BRIDGES (WACO)
- Access roads and turnarounds under I-35 on both sides of the river are closed.
- Access to and from Buzzard Billy's restaurant has been moved to the east side of I-35 until a detour on the west side is completed.
- The sidewalk crossing under I-35 on the south side of the Brazos River is closed as construction in the river continues.
- Completed stabilizing ground.
- Began ground stabilization for the retaining walls in the northeast quadrant.
- Began setting the southbound frontage-road bridge beams.
- The detour for Buzzard Billy's is constructed. Access is on the west side of I-35.
- All ground stabilization is complete.
Down the Road
- Complete construction of the northbound bridge pylons (columns extending above the water line).
- Complete placing box culverts.
- Continue construction of the retaining walls in southeast, southwest and northwest quadrants.
- Complete setting beams for southbound frontage-road bridge.
- Begin setting the northbound frontage-road bridge beams.
- Continue ground stabilization for the retaining walls in the northeast quadrant.
- Complete pylons for the northbound frontage-road bridge.
- Continue building bridge approaches in the northeast and southwest quadrants.
- Begin pouring bridge deck (concrete pavement) on the southbound frontage road bridge.
Section 5A: WACO TO WEST (N. LOOP 340 TO FM 1858)
- The Wiggins Rd. crossover is closed for demolition and is expected to be closed for 12-18 months. Tours Rd. (next crossing to the south) and Tokio Rd. (next crossing to the north) are open.
- Main St. in Elm Mott is permanently closed to through traffic at the southbound frontage road.
- The Hilltop Rd. bridge is closed for the intersection/bridge reconstruction. The segment of the southbound frontage road from Meadowlawn Rd. to Hilltop will be permanently converted to one way. This closure is expected to last for 12-18 months, and completion of the reconstruction is anticipated in late 2013 or early 2014. Crossings at FM 308 to the south and Ross Rd. to the north will be open.
- The exit and entrance ramps to/from Wiggins will be closed until the new northbound mainlanes are completed.
- Switched northbound mainlanes to new pavement from Tours Rd. to FM 1858/Tokio Rd.
- Completed construction for the northbound frontage-road intersection on the east side of Wiggins Rd.
- Completed approaches to the FM 1858/Tokio Rd. bridge.
- Completed construction of the southbound mainlanes at the tie-in to the 5B project to the north.
- Converted traffic for the east (northbound) frontage road to one-way traffic from FM 1858/Tokio Rd. to FM 2114/Oak St. in West (in coordination with the 5B project to the north).
Down the Road
- Continue construction for the southbound frontage-road intersection on the west side of Hilltop Rd.
- Continue installing permanent signs from BUS 77 to Loop 340. (Once permanent signs are in place at the BUS 77, Craven Ave., and Meyers Ln. intersections, these intersections will change from four-way stops to two-way stops. The frontage road traffic will not stop.)
- Continue work on the retaining walls at FM 1858/Tokio Rd.
- Complete construction of the southbound mainlanes at the tie-in to the 5B project to the north.
- Continue construction of southbound mainlanes from Tours Rd. To FM 1858/Tokio Rd.
- Continue construction of northbound overpasses at FM 308 and Hilltop Rd.
- Install overhead sign supports and signs from Loop 340 to BUS 77.
Section 5B: WEST TO ABBOTT (FM 1858/TOKIO RD. TO FM 1304)
- The southbound exit 354 (the Marable St. exit) will be closed beginning Monday, January 21, and will remain closed during the construction of this portion of the southbound frontage road until a new exit is built. A message sign will notify the traveling public of the closure.
- The southbound exit ramp to County Line Rd. has been closed and a temporary ramp opened. Traffic on the southbound frontage road will be detoured around the existing County Line Rd. crossing until the new frontage road is built, possibly as late as summer 2013.
- Completed removing the old pavement at FM 1242.
- Began construction on the northbound FM 1242 overpass.
- Began building retaining walls on the northbound side of the Abbott FM 1242 intersection.
Down the Road
- Continue construction on new northbound mainlanes at FM 1242.
- Continue seeding and stabilizing new ditches throughout the project.
- Continue work on the remaining areas of the southbound frontage road near FM 1242 and County Line Rd.
- Begin placing hot-mix asphalt on southbound frontage road near FM 1242 and County Line Rd.
- Continue concrete pavement on the northbound mainlanes between County Line Rd. and FM 1242.
- Continue concrete pavement on the southbound mainlanes between County Line Rd. and FM 1858/Tokio Rd.
- Complete north retaining walls on the northbound side at the Abbott FM 1242 intersection.
- Begin building the south retaining wall on the northbound side of FM 1242.
- Begin pouring support columns and caps on the northbound FM 1242 overpass.
- Finish frontage road tie-ins at the Marable and County Line road intersections.
- Pave and open the new southbound (west) exit ramp to FM 2114 in West, then close the existing temporary ramp.
- Pave Propane Road.
Section 5C: ABBOTT TO SOUTH OF HILLSBORO (FM 1304 TO FM 310)
Down the Road
- Begin installing permanent erosion control devices.
SAFETY REST AREAS (HILL COUNTY)
Note: The expected completion date has been pushed back indefinitely at this time. A subcontractor has to be replaced before the detail work can be completed.
- Began playground installation.
- Began irrigation installation.
Down the Road
- Continue detail work including tiles, paint, mechanical, electrical and lighting, and plumbing.
- Continue developing the interior exhibits.
- Continue playground installation.
- Continue irrigation installation.