My35 Central Texas News
Move Over/Slow Down or Pay Up
Given that fines for noncompliance could reach $2,000, it could pay in more ways than one to become familiar with a new Texas law recently extended to protect TxDOT workers. Beginning Sept. 1, the state's Move Over/Slow Down law requires drivers to move over a lane or slow down when approaching TxDOT workers and vehicles on the roadside. Motorists can identify TxDOT personnel by their bright orange vests and their vehicles by the flashing blue or amber lights on top. | Read More
Putting the Puzzle Pieces Together: DPS Investigators Reconstruct Crashes on I-35
A crash reconstruction team with the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) was on the scene shortly after a fatal accident on I-35E, mile marker five, in Hill County on Friday, August 9. An 18-wheeler slammed into the rear of a pickup truck, killing one of its occupants and injuring four others. (Hill County has been the location of several fatality crashes.) | Read More
Section 1B: SALADO (FM 2843 to FM 2484)
- Began construction of Thomas Arnold west of I-35.
Down the road
- Continue construction of Thomas Arnold west of I-35.
- Open the southbound frontage road closure from FM 2268 to FM 2843.
- Continue building the retaining wall under the northbound frontage road for the Main St. connection.
- Continue construction on the FM 2484 retaining walls and bridge.
- Continue construction of the southbound frontage road from Salado Plaza to Thomas Arnold.
- Continue construction of the northbound mainlane and frontage road from FM 2268 to Salado Creek.
- Continue construction of the northbound mainlane and frontage road bridges over Salado Creek.
Section 1C: Salado to belton (FM 2484 to us 190/fm 436)
- Completed the new pavement on the southbound mainlanes near the US 190 intersection.
- Moved traffic onto the new southbound mainlanes near US 190 intersection.
Down the Road
- Continue paving the northbound mainlanes from Amity Rd. to Tahuaya Rd.
- Continue wall construction at various locations.
- Continue installing traffic light poles at FM 436 and the frontage roads.
- Construct the northbound mainlanes under the Amity, Tahuaya, and Shanklin structures.
- Place concrete paving on the southbound mainlane from US 190 to Loop 121.
Section 3A-1: TEMPLE TO TROY (N. LOOP 363 TO N. TROY CITY LIMIT)
- Began constructing drill shafts, columns, and retaining walls at the northbound South Troy crossing.
- Switched the northbound frontage from Berger Rd. to FM 1237/Pendleton Rd. to one-way traffic and began building the new pavement.
Down the Road
- Complete culvert #2 at the south end of the project near Loop 363.
- Complete installing riprap along the southbound frontage road ditches.
- Complete installing the curb along the southbound frontage road.
- Complete installing the retaining wall near FM 1237/Pendleton Rd. (after relocation of AT&T lines).
- Complete work on Pegasus Rd.
- Continue work on the Little Elm Creek southbound frontage-road bridge rail.
- Continue constructing the southbound frontage road between Loop 363 and Berger Rd.
- Continue working on the southbound frontage road to the north end of the project.
- Begin working on the east end of culvert #14 near the new South Troy Overpass.
Section 3A-2: TROY to bruceville-eddy (N. TROY CITY LIMIT to woodlawn rd.)
- Until fall 2013, the southbound frontage road will be closed from Roberts Cemetery to Big Elm Rd. This will allow the demolition and rebuilding of the new frontage road and bridge over Big Elm Creek. Frontage-road traffic traveling south from Big Elm Rd. will have to enter the freeway, except for local traffic only, south of Big Elm Creek. A temporary turnaround has been constructed near Roberts Cemetery.
- Switched the northbound mainlane traffic to a detour section near Old Blevins Rd.
- Switched southbound mainlane traffic to new temporary pavement.
Down the Road
- Continue constructing the southbound frontage road from Big Elm Creek to Big Elm Rd. and from Old Blevins Rd. to FM 107.
- Continue utility relocations.
- Continue excavation and embankment for the new northbound frontage road from FM 107 to the railroad crossing in Bruceville-Eddy.
- Continue building the road base on the northbound frontage road from FM 107 to the railroad crossing.
- Continue building the road base and temporary paving on the I-35 southbound mainlane detour.
- Begin work on the new southbound mainlane bridge over Deer Creek.
Section 3B: LORENA TO HEWITT (WOODLAWN RD. TO SUN VALLEY BLVD./FM 2063)
- Completed pouring the N. FM 2837/Old Lorena Rd. bridge deck.
- Switched traffic to the new southbound mainlanes from FM 1695 to N. FM 2837.
- Began intersection work at the west end of the N. FM 2837 bridge and southbound frontage road.
Down the Road
- Begin setting beams at FM 1695/Moonlight Rd.
- Continue work on the new northbound mainlanes from FM 2148 to FM 2063.
- Continue the new northbound mainlanes from S. Old Bruceville Rd. to FM 2837/Rosenthal Rd.
- Switch traffic on the northbound frontage road to the new pavement in Lorena to begin I-35 northbound main lanes.
- Switch traffic to the new bridge at S. FM 2837.
- Switch traffic to the new southbound mainlanes from FM 1695 to N. FM 2837.
- Continue work on intersection at the west end of N. FM 2837 bridge and southbound frontage road.
- Begin intersection work on the east end of Moonlight Rd.
- Begin excavating for the northbound mainlanes at Callan Ranch Road overpass.
- Set beams for the northbound mainlane bridge at the Woodlawn Rd. underpass.
- Remove the old northbound frontage road bridge from S. Old Bruceville Rd. to FM 2837/Rosenthal Rd.
- Drill and pour columns for the northbound mainlanes at South Cow Bayou and North Cow Bayou.
BRAZOS RIVER BRIDGES (WACO)
- Access roads and turnarounds under I-35 on both sides of the river are closed.
- The sidewalk crossing under I-35 on the south side of the Brazos River is closed as construction in the river continues.
- Completed construction of the northbound bridge pylons (columns extending above the water line).
- Completed setting the northbound frontage-road bridge beams.
- Began the bracing for girders.
- Began pouring pylons on the southbound bridge.
- Began pouring the aesthetic wall on northwest quadrant between the Oncor substation and Buzzard Billy's/I-35.
Down the Road
- Complete construction of the retaining wall in the northeast quadrant.
- Continue building the bridge approaches in the northeast and southwest quadrants.
- Continue pouring the bridge deck (concrete pavement) on the northbound frontage road bridge.
- Continue the bracing for girders.
- Continue pouring the pylons on the southbound bridge.
- Continue pouring the aesthetic wall on northwest quadrant between the Oncor substation and Buzzard Billy's/I-35.
- Begin installing the cable system and tensioning cables on the northbound bridge.
Section 5A: WACO TO WEST (N. LOOP 340 TO FM 1858)
- The Wiggins Rd. crossover is closed for demolition and is expected to be closed for 12-18 months. Tours Rd. (next crossing to the south) and Tokio Rd. (next crossing to the north) are open.
- Main St. in Elm Mott is permanently closed to through traffic at the southbound frontage road.
- The Hilltop Rd. bridge is closed for the intersection/bridge reconstruction. The segment of the southbound frontage road from Meadowlawn Rd. to Hilltop will be permanently converted to one way. This closure is expected to last for 12-18 months, and completion of the reconstruction is anticipated in late 2013 or early 2014. Crossings at FM 308 to the south and Ross Rd. to the north will be open.
- The exit and entrance ramps to/from Wiggins will be closed until the new northbound mainlanes are completed.
- Began installing overhead sign supports and signs from Loop 340 to BUS 77.
Down the Road
- Complete the southbound frontage-road intersection on the west side of Hilltop Rd. (will close West Hilltop to complete intersection on the west side).
- Continue installing permanent signs from BUS 77 to Loop 340. (Once permanent signs are in place at the BUS 77, Craven Ave., and Meyers Ln. intersections, these intersections will change from four-way to two-way stops. The frontage road traffic will not stop.)
- Continue work on the retaining walls at FM 1858/Tokio Rd.
- Continue construction of southbound mainlanes from Tours Rd. to FM 1858/Tokio Rd.
- Continue construction of northbound overpasses at FM 308 and Hilltop Rd.
- Begin adding construction of the southbound overpass at Wiggins Rd.
- Complete installing overhead sign supports and signs from Loop 340 to BUS 77.
- Begin northbound mainlane construction at the north end of the project to connect to the 5B (West to Abbott) project.
- Hang beams for the northbound overpass at FM 308 (this will require full northbound mainlane closures).
Section 5B: WEST TO ABBOTT (FM 1858/TOKIO RD. TO FM 1304)
- The southbound exit 354 (the Marable St. exit) will remain closed during the construction of this portion of the southbound frontage road until a new exit is built. A message sign will notify the traveling public of the closure.
- The southbound exit ramp to County Line Rd. has been closed and a temporary ramp opened. Traffic on the southbound frontage road will be detoured around the existing County Line Rd. crossing until the new frontage road is built.
- Completed the drainage structures at the FM 1242 intersection.
- Set the bridge beams and poured the bridge deck for the east span of the HCR 3102 overpass and for the northbound lanes of the FM 1242 bridge overpass.
- Completed County Line Rd. intersections.
- Completed placing hot-mix asphalt on a section of the southbound frontage road near FM 1242 and County Line Rd.
Down the Road
- Continue construction on the northbound mainlanes at FM 1242.
- Continue building the retaining walls on the northbound side of the Abbott FM 1242 intersection.
- Continue construction on the new northbound mainlanes at FM 1242.
- Continue seeding and stabilizing new ditches throughout the project.
- Continue work on the remaining areas of the southbound frontage road near FM 1242 and County Line Rd.
- Complete concrete pavement on the southbound mainlanes between County Line Rd. and FM 1858/Tokio Rd.
- Continue pouring abutment riprap.
- Finish the frontage road tie-ins at the Marable St. intersection.
- Switch traffic onto new Marable St. bridge.
- Move traffic onto the new southbound mainlane from County Line Rd. to Tokio Rd./FM 1858.
- Demolish the existing HCR 3102 overpass.
Section 5C: ABBOTT TO SOUTH OF HILLSBORO (FM 1304 TO FM 310)
- Begin installing permanent erosion control devices.
Down the Road
- Continue installing permanent erosion control devices.
SAFETY REST AREAS (HILL COUNTY)
Note: The expected completion date has been pushed back indefinitely at this time. A subcontractor has to be replaced before the detail work can be completed.
- Installed playground and exercise floor material.
Down the Road
- Complete interior/exterior punch list (final architectural, mechanical, electrical, lighting, and plumbing tasks).
- Complete interior exhibit components.
- Schedule ribbon-cutting.