My35 Central Texas News
New No-Truck Lane Being Debated: TxDOT Looks at Restricting Trucks along 14 Miles of I-35
Something might soon be missing from the left lanes of I-35 in Waco: large trucks. Shortly after the beginning of 2014, trucks with three axles or more will be prohibited from driving in the left lane of I-35 except to pass slower moving traffic if TxDOT's current plan is approved and implemented. This new no-truck zone stretches approximately 14 miles from near Hewitt to Lacy-Lakeview. | Read More
TxDOT Helps Shippers to Keep on Truckin'
With as many as 200,000 vehicles traveling sections of I-35 each day, getting traveler information to drivers is essential to ensure safety and mobility. Trucks carrying products to market account for approximately 20 percent of the total number of vehicles during daylight hours and 70 percent of vehicles at night. | Read More
Section 1B: SALADO (FM 2843 to FM 2484)
- Began construction of Thomas Arnold west of I-35.
- Set beams on the new FM 2484 bridge.
- Completed columns and caps for the new northbound frontage-road bridge over Salado Creek.
Down the road
- Continue construction of Thomas Arnold west of I-35.
- Continue building the retaining wall under the northbound frontage road for the Main St. connection.
- Continue construction on the FM 2484 retaining walls.
- Complete the bridge deck on the FM 2484 crossing.
- Continue construction of the southbound frontage road from Salado Plaza to Thomas Arnold.
- Continue construction of the northbound mainlane and frontage road from FM 2268 to Salado Creek.
- Continue construction of the northbound mainlane bridges over Salado Creek.
- Set beams on the northbound frontage-road bridge over Salado Creek.
- Construct the northbound mainlanes from the south end of the project to FM 2268.
- Complete the FM 2268 bridge and the southbound frontage-road structures.
Section 1C: Salado to belton (FM 2484 to us 190/fm 436)
- Completed paving the northbound mainlanes from Amity Rd. to Tahuaya Rd.
- Completed installing traffic light poles on the east side of I-35 at FM 436 and the frontage roads.
- Completed the northbound mainlanes under the Amity Rd. structure.
Down the Road
- Continue wall construction at various locations.
- Continue installing traffic light poles on the west side of the highway at FM 436 and the frontage roads.
- Continue work on the northbound mainlanes under the Tahuaya Rd. and Shanklin Rd. structures.
- Place concrete paving on the southbound mainlane from US 190 to Loop 121.
- Construct the southbound mainlanes under Loop 121.
- Continue paving northbound mainlanes from Tahuaya Rd. to Loop 121.
Section 3A-1: TEMPLE TO TROY (N. LOOP 363 TO N. TROY CITY LIMIT)
- Began working on the east end of culvert #14 near the new South Troy overpass.
- Completed installing the curb along the completed portion of the southbound frontage road.
- Completed asphalt and curb on majority of Pegasus Rd.
Down the Road
- Complete culvert #2 at the south end of the project near Loop 363.
- Complete installing riprap along the southbound frontage road ditches.
- Complete installing the retaining wall near FM 1237/Pendleton Rd. (after relocation of AT&T lines).
- Continue work on the Little Elm Creek southbound frontage-road bridge rail.
- Continue constructing the southbound frontage road between Loop 363 and Berger Rd.
- Continue working on the southbound frontage road to the north end of the project.
- Continue working on the east end of culvert #14 near the new South Troy overpass.
- Begin working on the installation of drill shafts and columns for the east side of the South Troy underpass.
- Begin working on box culvert #1 located on the southbound frontage road north of Little Elm Creek.
- Continue working on the northbound frontage road between Berger/Hart Rd. and FM 1237.
Section 3A-2: TROY to bruceville-eddy (N. TROY CITY LIMIT to woodlawn rd.)
- Until fall 2013, the southbound frontage road will be closed from Roberts Cemetery to Big Elm Rd. This will allow the demolition and rebuilding of the new frontage road and bridge over Big Elm Creek. Frontage-road traffic traveling south from Big Elm Rd. will have to enter the freeway, except for local traffic only, south of Big Elm Creek. A temporary turnaround has been constructed near Roberts Cemetery.
- Completed building the road base and temporary paving on the I-35 southbound mainlane detour.
- Began work on the new southbound mainlane bridge over Deer Creek.
Down the Road
- Continue constructing the southbound frontage road from Big Elm Creek to Big Elm Rd. and from Old Blevins Rd. to FM 107.
- Continue utility relocations.
- Continue excavation and embankment for the new northbound frontage road from FM 107 to the railroad crossing in Bruceville-Eddy.
- Continue building the road base on the northbound frontage road from FM 107 to the railroad crossing.
- Switch southbound mainlane traffic to the temporary paving on the I-35 southbound mainlane detour.
- Continue work on the new southbound mainlane bridge over Deer Creek.
- Construct the new southbound mainlane from Big Elm Rd. to Old Blevins Rd.
- Begin constructing the new northbound frontage road bridge at Big Elm Creek.
Section 3B: LORENA TO HEWITT (WOODLAWN RD. TO SUN VALLEY BLVD./FM 2063)
- Switched traffic to the new southbound mainlanes from FM 1695 to N. FM 2837.
- Began intersection work on the east end of Moonlight Rd.
- Began excavating for the northbound mainlanes at the Callan Ranch Rd. overpass.
- Removed the old northbound frontage road bridge from S. Old Bruceville Rd. to FM 2837/Rosenthal Rd.
Down the Road
- Continue work on intersection on the east end of Moonlight Rd.
- Continue excavating for the northbound mainlanes at the Callan Ranch Rd. overpass.
- Begin setting beams at FM 1695/Moonlight Rd.
- Continue work on the new northbound mainlanes from FM 2148 to FM 2063.
- Continue the new northbound mainlanes from S. Old Bruceville Rd. to FM 2837/Rosenthal Rd.
- Switch traffic on the northbound frontage road to the new pavement in Lorena to begin I-35 northbound main lanes.
- Switch traffic to the new bridge at S. FM 2837.
- Continue work on the intersection at the west end of the N. FM 2837 bridge and the southbound frontage road.
- Set beams for the northbound mainlane bridge at the Woodlawn Rd. underpass.
- Complete columns for the northbound mainlanes at South Cow Bayou and North Cow Bayou.
- Set beams at North Cow Bayou and South Cow Bayou.
BRAZOS RIVER BRIDGES (WACO)
- Access roads and turnarounds under I-35 on both sides of the river are closed.
- The sidewalk crossing under I-35 on the south side of the Brazos River is closed as construction in the river continues.
- Completed pouring the pylons on the southbound bridge.
- Completed pouring the aesthetic wall in the northwest quadrant between the Oncor substation and Buzzard Billy's/I-35.
Down the Road
- Complete construction of the retaining wall in the northeast quadrant.
- Continue building the bridge approaches in the northeast and southwest quadrants.
- Continue pouring the bridge deck (concrete pavement) on the northbound frontage road bridge.
- Continue the bracing for girders.
- Begin installing the cable system and tensioning cables on the northbound bridge.
- Complete drainage work.
- Install caps on bridge pylons.
- Pave bridge approach and Robinson Tower access points.
Section 5A: WACO TO WEST (N. LOOP 340 TO FM 1858)
- The Wiggins Rd. crossover is closed for demolition and is expected to be closed for 12-18 months. Tours Rd. (next crossing to the south) and Tokio Rd. (next crossing to the north) are open.
- Main St. in Elm Mott is permanently closed to through traffic at the southbound frontage road.
- The Hilltop Rd. bridge is closed for the intersection/bridge reconstruction. The segment of the southbound frontage road from Meadowlawn Rd. to Hilltop will be permanently converted to one way. This closure is expected to last for 12-18 months, and completion of the reconstruction is anticipated in late 2013 or early 2014. Crossings at FM 308 to the south and Ross Rd. to the north will be open.
- The exit and entrance ramps to/from Wiggins will be closed until the new northbound mainlanes are completed.
- Began construction of the southbound overpass at Wiggins Rd.
- Began northbound mainlane construction at the north end of the project to connect to the 5B (West to Abbott) project.
- Set beams for the northbound overpass at FM 308.
Down the Road
- Complete the southbound frontage-road intersection on the west side of Hilltop Rd. (will close West Hilltop to complete intersection on the west side).
- Continue installing permanent signs from BUS 77 to Loop 340. (Once permanent signs are in place at the BUS 77, Craven Ave., and Meyers Ln. intersections, these intersections will change from four-way to two-way stops. The frontage road traffic will not stop.)
- Continue work on the retaining walls at FM 1858/Tokio Rd.
- Continue construction of the southbound mainlanes from Tours Rd. to FM 1858/Tokio Rd.
- Continue construction of northbound overpasses at FM 308 and Hilltop Rd.
- Continue construction of the southbound overpass at Wiggins Rd.
- Complete installing overhead sign supports and signs from Loop 340 to BUS 77.
- Continue northbound mainlane construction at the north end of the project to connect to the 5B (West to Abbott) project.
- Switch southbound mainlane traffic to new pavement at the south end of the 5B project and reroute at the north end of the 5A project.
- Hang beams for the northbound overpass at Hilltop Rd. and the southbound overpass at Wiggins Rd. (These operations will require lane closures, but not full freeway closures).
- Complete paving at the FM 1858/Tokio Rd. intersection.
- Open the west Hilltop Rd. intersection.
Section 5B: WEST TO ABBOTT (FM 1858/TOKIO RD. TO FM 1304)
- The southbound exit 354 (the Marable St. exit) will remain closed during the construction of this portion of the southbound frontage road until a new exit is built. A message sign will notify the traveling public of the closure.
- The southbound exit ramp to County Line Rd. has been closed and a temporary ramp opened. Traffic on the southbound frontage road will be detoured around the existing County Line Rd. crossing until the new frontage road is built.
- Completed building the retaining walls on the northbound side of the Abbott FM 1242 intersection.
- Completed work on the remaining areas of the southbound frontage road near FM 1242 and County Line Rd.
- Completed the section of concrete pavement on the southbound mainlanes between County Line Rd. and FM 1858/Tokio Rd.
- Completed abutment riprap.
- Switched traffic onto the new Marable St. bridge.
- Switched traffic onto the new southbound mainlane from County Line Rd. to Tokio Rd./FM 1858.
- Demolished the existing HCR 3102 overpass.
Down the Road
- Continue construction on the northbound mainlanes from County Line Rd. to the north end of the project.
- Continue seeding and stabilizing new ditches throughout the project.
- Finish the frontage road tie-ins at the Marable St. intersection.
- Remove existing southbound mainlanes from County Line Rd. to FM 1858.
- Place box culverts and other drainage.
- Begin road base for the new northbound mainlanes from FM 1858 to County Line Rd.
Section 5C: ABBOTT TO SOUTH OF HILLSBORO (FM 1304 TO FM 310)
- Begin installing permanent erosion control devices.
Down the Road
- Continue installing permanent erosion control devices.
SAFETY REST AREAS (HILL COUNTY)
Note: The expected completion date has been pushed back indefinitely at this time. A subcontractor has to be replaced before the detail work can be completed.
- Installed playground and exercise floor material.
Down the Road
- Complete interior/exterior punch list (final architectural, mechanical, electrical, lighting, and plumbing tasks).
- Complete interior exhibit components.
- Schedule ribbon-cutting.