My35 Central Texas News
I-35 Expansion Opens New Doors to Visitors in Salado
The last few years have been tough for The Village of Salado, located at the southern end of the My35 Expansion Project. As a town that relies on tourism, Salado has been heavily impacted in recent years by a worsening economy, weather problems (including two sets of floods that damaged the Mill Creek Golf Club, a main attraction) and, of course, the construction project itself, which made access to Salado from the interstate more challenging. But on Wednesday, May 14, you could almost hear a collective sigh of relief coming from this section of Central Texas. | Read More
What the Heck IS That Thing? Truck-Mounted Attenuators
"What the Heck IS That Thing?" is a recurring feature in My35 Central Texas News. From time to time, we'll try and answer questions you have about things you've seen in the construction projects along I-35. In this article we talk to TxDOT Assistant Hillsboro Area Engineer Jason Duncan about truck-mounted attenuators. | Read More
section 1B: SALADO (FM 2843 to FM 2484)
- Completed pouring new pavement on the southbound frontage road from FM 2268 to the end of the project.
- Finished construction of the Thomas Arnold bridge over I-35.
- Completed constructing the southbound frontage road south of FM 2268.
- Completed constructing mainlane detours between Salado Plaza and Salado Creek.
Down the road
- Begin southbound mainlane construction from the south end of the project through Thomas Arnold.
- Switch northbound mainlane traffic from existing lanes to new location from south end of the project through Thomas Arnold.
- Continue construction of the retaining walls at FM 2484.
- Continue construction of the FM 2484 bridge rail.
- Continue construction of the retaining walls between Salado Creek and Thomas Arnold along the mainlanes.
- Complete side-road entrances along the southbound frontage road between North Main Street and Thomas Arnold.
- Construct the northbound frontage road from North Main Street to FM 2484.
section 1C: Salado to belton (FM 2484 to us 190/fm 436)
Down the Road
- Switch the northbound mainlane traffic from existing lanes to new location from FM 2484 to US 190.
- Continue the retaining wall construction at various locations.
- Continue constructing the ramp from the northbound mainlanes to the US 190 Direct Connect/flyover.
- Continue constructing the US 190 Direct Connect/flyover.
- Continue construction of the northbound mainlanes and ramp between Loop 121 and US 190.
- Continue the intersection construction at Loop 121 and the frontage roads.
- Begin construction of the southbound mainlanes and culverts from FM 2484 to Loop 121.
Section 2B: TEMPLE (S. LOOP 363 TO N. LOOP 363)
- Completed agreement with the railroad for work on three crossings in Temple.
- Completed changes on Pegasus Rd to new permanent configuration with access to I-35 from Loop 363.
- Completed pavement for new configuration of 3rd St./Spur 290 (new).
- Began constructing the new southbound ramp reconfiguration between Loop 363 and Midway Dr.
Down the Road
- Continue culvert installation on 15th St. between Industrial and Zenith/Fannin Loop and re-open 15th St.
- Continue constructing the storm sewer on the southbound and northbound frontage roads.
- Continue constructing the northbound on-ramp between Midway Dr. and Loop 363.
- Continue relocating utilities and storm sewers north of Nugent.
- Continue building bridge abutments and interior columns at Spur 290.
- Continue building bridge abutments at Adams Ave.
Section 3A-1: TEMPLE TO TROY (N. LOOP 363 TO N. TROY CITY LIMIT)
- Finished working on the culvert at the south end of the project near Loop 363.
- Completed the culverts under the frontage road near the new South Troy overpass.
- Completed the culverts on the southbound frontage road north of Little Elm Creek.
Down the Road
- Continue installing riprap along the southbound frontage road ditches.
- Continue work on the Little Elm Creek southbound frontage-road bridge rail.
- Continue constructing the southbound frontage road between Loop 363 and Berger Rd.
- Continue working on the southbound frontage road to the north end of the project.
- Continue working on the northbound frontage road between Berger/Hart Rd. and FM 1237.
- Continue working on the east end of the culvert near Bottoms East Rd.
- Continue working on the culverts along the southbound frontage road at Berger/Hart Rd.
- Continue installation of retaining walls for the South Troy underpass along the southbound frontage road.
- Continue work on the pavement on Pegasus Rd.
section 3A-2: TROY to bruceville-eddy (N. TROY CITY LIMIT to woodlawn rd.)
- Until further notice, the southbound frontage road will be closed from Roberts Cemetery to Big Elm Rd. This will allow the demolition and rebuilding of the new frontage road and bridge over Big Elm Creek. Frontage-road traffic traveling south from Big Elm Rd. will have to enter the freeway, except for local traffic only, south of Big Elm Creek. A temporary turnaround has been constructed near Roberts Cemetery.
- Set beams for the new I-35 overpass at Old Blevins Rd.
Down the Road
- Continue constructing the southbound frontage road from Big Elm Creek to Big Elm Rd. and from Old Blevins Rd. to FM 107.
- Switch southbound frontage-road traffic from Old Blevins to FM 107 late this month or early next month.
- Continue utility relocations.
- Continue the excavation and embankment for the new northbound frontage road from FM 107 to the railroad crossing in Bruceville-Eddy.
- Continue building the road base on the northbound frontage road from FM 107 to the railroad crossing.
- Continue constructing the new southbound mainlane from Big Elm Rd. to Old Blevins Rd.
- Continue construction of the new I-35 overpass at Old Blevins Rd.
- Continue working on the northbound frontage road near Big Elm Creek.
- Continue working at Old Moody and Grider St.
- Begin working on the new Union Pacific Railroad bridges.
- Continue constructing retaining wall at new turnaround north of railroad tracks in Bruceville-Eddy.
section 3B: LORENA TO HEWITT (WOODLAWN RD. TO SUN VALLEY BLVD./FM 2063)
- Finished working on the intersection at the west end of the W. FM 2837/Old Lorena Rd. bridge and the southbound frontage road.
- Finished making new traffic pattern changes at FM 1695/Moonlight Dr. and W. FM 2837 (northbound and southbound).
Down the Road
- Continue excavating for the northbound mainlanes at the Callan Ranch Rd. (formerly Telephone Rd.) overpass.
- Finish work on the FM 1695/Moonlight Rd. intersection.
- Continue the new northbound mainlanes from S. Old Bruceville Rd. to E. FM 2837/Rosenthal Rd.
- Begin switching traffic to the new northbound frontage road in Lorena.
- Complete the retaining wall at Callan Ranch Rd. (formerly Telephone Rd.).
- Switch southbound mainlane traffic to the new pavement from FM 2063/Sun Valley Blvd. to FM 1695/Moonlight Dr.
- Pour the bridge rail at N. FM 2837.
- Open full-width pavement at FM 1695.
- Open full-width pavement at W. FM 2837/Old Lorena Rd.
- Pour N Cow Bayou bridge
brazos RIVER BRIDGES (WACO)
- Access roads and turnarounds under I-35 on both sides of the river are closed.
- The sidewalk crossing under I-35 on the south side of the Brazos River is closed as construction in the river continues.
Down the Road
- Continue installing the lighting systems.
- Continue extending the drainage structures.
- Pour the traffic rail and sidewalk on the northbound frontage-road bridge.
- Construct the northbound frontage road and driveway at the Ranger Museum.
- Open the new northbound entrance and exit ramp.
- Open all lanes of traffic on the northbound bridge.
section 5A: WACO TO WEST (N. LOOP 340 TO FM 1858)
- Main St. in Elm Mott is permanently closed to through traffic at the southbound frontage road.
- The Ross Rd. crossing is closed until late 2015.
- The Tours Rd. crossing is closed until late 2015.
- Began making traffic-pattern changes from BUS 77 to Loop 340.
- Erected an overhead bridge and installed dynamic message signs just south of Crest Ave.
- Permanent signs put in place at the BUS 77, Craven Ave., and Meyers Ln. intersections. These intersections are now two-way stops (no longer four-way stops). The frontage-road traffic will no longer stop.
Down the Road
- Continue installing permanent signs from BUS 77 to Loop 340.
- Continue work on the retaining walls at FM 1858/Tokio Rd.
- Complete paving at the FM 1858/Tokio Rd. intersection.
- Complete construction of the bridge rail on the northbound overpass at FM 308.
- Continue extending culverts to the west of I-35 at various locations between FM 1858/Tokio Rd. and Tours Rd.
- Construct the northbound mainlane pavement between Ross Rd. and FM 3149/Tours Rd.
- Continue construction of the northbound mainlane overpass at Ross Rd.
- Continue construction of the northbound mainlanes overpass at Tours Rd.
section 5B: WEST TO ABBOTT (FM 1858/TOKIO RD. TO FM 1304)
- The southbound exit 354 (the Marable St. exit) will remain closed during the construction of this portion of the southbound frontage road until a new exit is built. A message sign will notify the traveling public of the closure.
- Finished seeding and stabilizing the new ditches throughout the project.
- Finished installation of small signs and lighting.
- Finished pouring bridge deck for the FM 21/Oak St. bridge.
Down the Road
- Continue placing the box culverts and other drainage.
- Continue building the new northbound mainlane overpass at FM 21/Oak St. in West.
- Continue placing hot-mix asphalt for the base on the proposed northbound and southbound mainlanes.
- Continue building tie-ins to Marable St., County Line Rd., and HCR 3102 crossovers.
- Continue installing underdrains for the new mainlanes.
- Begin placing the HCR 3102 bridge deck.
- Begin pouring concrete for new southbound and northbound concrete pavement.
section 5C: ABBOTT TO SOUTH OF HILLSBORO (FM 1304 TO FM 310)
- Project 5C completed.
safety REST AREAS (HILL COUNTY)
- Installed temporary message boards with information about the My35.org website for I-35 construction information.