My35 Central Texas News
Salado Honors Highway Workers with Rare Appreciation Luncheon
With his office located on the access road of the interstate, Justice of the Peace Don Engleking has a front-row seat to the I-35 construction near Salado. He can sit at his desk and see scores of construction workers, working at all hours of the day and night during the heat of summer and cold of winter. The scene outside his window has played out every day for the last two years. "One day it hit me," Engleking recalls. "Why not do something for these workers?" | Read More
I-35 Becomes Part of Variable Speed-Limit Study
Motorists in the northbound lanes of I-35 near Temple are now part of a statewide speed study that could lead to safer and less congested highways, not only in Temple but across Texas. The variable speed limit (VSL) pilot project began this month after the 83rd Texas Legislature passed House Bill 2204. The bill instructs TxDOT to study the effectiveness of variable speed limits "to address inclement weather, congestion, road construction, or any other condition that affects the safe and orderly movement of traffic on a roadway." | Read More
section 1B: SALADO (FM 2843 to FM 2484)
- Switched northbound mainlane traffic from existing lanes to new location from south end of the project through Thomas Arnold.
Down the road
- Continue southbound mainlane construction from the south end of the project through Thomas Arnold.
- Continue construction of the retaining walls at FM 2484.
- Continue construction of the FM 2484 bridge rail.
- Continue construction of the retaining walls between Salado Creek and Thomas Arnold along the mainlanes.
- Complete side-road entrances along the southbound frontage road between North Main St. and Thomas Arnold.
- Construct the northbound frontage road from North Main St. to FM 2484.
section 1C: Salado to belton (FM 2484 to us 190/fm 436)
- Switched the northbound mainlane traffic from existing lanes to new location from FM 2484 to US 190.
Down the Road
- Continue the retaining wall construction at various locations.
- Continue constructing the ramp from the northbound mainlanes to the US 190 Direct Connect/flyover.
- Continue constructing the US 190 Direct Connect/flyover.
- Continue construction of the northbound mainlanes and ramp between Loop 121 and US 190.
- Continue the intersection construction at Loop 121 and the frontage roads.
- Begin construction of the southbound mainlanes and culverts from FM 2484 to Loop 121.
Section 2B: TEMPLE (S. LOOP 363 TO N. LOOP 363)
- Completed the bridge abutments at Adams Ave.
- Began concrete paving on Spur 290.
Down the Road
- Begin constructing the on- and off-ramps for southbound I-35 between Midway Dr. and Loop 363.
- Continue culvert installation on 15th St. between Industrial and Zenith/Fannin Loop and re-open 15th St.
- Continue constructing the storm sewer on the southbound and northbound frontage roads.
- Continue constructing the northbound on-ramp between Midway Dr. and Loop 363.
- Continue relocating the utilities and storm sewers north of Nugent.
- Continue building the bridge abutments and interior columns at Spur 290.
Section 3A-1: TEMPLE TO TROY (N. LOOP 363 TO N. TROY CITY LIMIT)
- Began concrete paving on the southbound frontage road to the north end of the project.
- Completed work on the pavement on Pegasus Rd.
Down the Road
- Continue installing riprap along the southbound frontage road ditches.
- Continue work on the Little Elm Creek southbound frontage-road bridge rail.
- Continue constructing the southbound frontage road between Loop 363 and Berger Rd.
- Continue working on the southbound frontage road to the north end of the project.
- Continue working on the northbound frontage road between Berger/Hart Rd. and FM 1237.
- Continue working on the east end of the culvert near Bottoms East Rd.
- Continue working on the culverts along the southbound frontage road at Berger/Hart Rd.
- Continue installation of retaining walls for the South Troy underpass along the southbound frontage road.
section 3A-2: TROY to bruceville-eddy (N. TROY CITY LIMIT to woodlawn rd.)
- Until further notice, the southbound frontage road will be closed from Roberts Cemetery to Big Elm Rd. This will allow the demolition and rebuilding of the new frontage road and bridge over Big Elm Creek. Frontage-road traffic traveling south from Big Elm Rd. will have to enter the freeway, except for local traffic only, south of Big Elm Creek. A temporary turnaround has been constructed near Roberts Cemetery.
- Switched southbound frontage-road traffic from Old Blevins to FM 107.
- Switched northbound frontage-road traffic to one way from FM 107 to the railroad crossing in Bruceville-Eddy.
Down the Road
- Continue constructing the southbound frontage road from Big Elm Creek to Big Elm Rd. and from Old Blevins Rd. to FM 107.
- Continue utility relocations.
- Continue construction of the new I-35 overpass at Old Blevins Rd.
- Continue constructing the new southbound mainlane from Big Elm Rd. to Old Blevins Rd.
- Continue working at Old Moody and Grider St.
- Begin working on the new Union Pacific Railroad bridges.
- Continue constructing the retaining wall at the new turnaround north of the railroad tracks in Bruceville-Eddy.
- Continue the excavation and embankment for the new northbound frontage road from FM 107 to the railroad crossing in Bruceville-Eddy
- Continue building the road base on the northbound frontage road from FM 107 to the railroad crossing.
- Switch southbound frontage-road traffic to one way from FM 107 to the railroad crossing in Bruceville-Eddy.
section 3B: LORENA TO HEWITT (WOODLAWN RD. TO SUN VALLEY BLVD./FM 2063)
- Finished all work on the FM 1695/Moonlight Rd. intersection.
- Poured the bridge rail at N. FM 2837.
- Opened the full-width pavement at FM 1695.
- Opened the full-width pavement at W. FM 2837/Old Lorena Rd.
- Completed excavation of the northbound mainlanes and constructed columns at Callan Ranch Rd. (formerly Telephone Rd.)
Down the Road
- Set beams over the new northbound lanes at Callan Ranch Rd.
- Continue the new northbound mainlanes from S. Old Bruceville Rd. to E. FM 2837/Rosenthal Rd.
- Switch southbound main lane traffic to the new pavement from FM 2063/Sun Valley Blvd. to FM 1695/Moonlight Dr.
- Switch the northbound mainlane traffic through Lorena to detour for construction of east section of new main lanes.
- Pour the North Cow Bayou bridge deck.
brazos RIVER BRIDGES (WACO)
- Access roads and turnarounds under I-35 on both sides of the river are closed.
- The sidewalk crossing under I-35 on the south side of the Brazos River is closed as construction in the river continues.
- Extended drainage structures.
- Opened the new northbound entrance and exit ramp.
- Poured the bridge rail on the northbound frontage-road bridge.
Down the Road
- Continue installing the lighting systems.
- Pour the traffic rail and sidewalk on the northbound frontage-road bridge.
- Construct the northbound frontage road and driveway at the Texas Ranger Museum.
- Open all lanes of traffic on the northbound bridge.
section 5A: WACO TO WEST (N. LOOP 340 TO FM 1858)
- Main St. in Elm Mott is permanently closed to through traffic at the southbound frontage road.
- The Ross Rd. crossing is closed until late 2014.
- The Tours Rd. crossing is closed until late 2014.
- Opened the northbound FM 2114 exit ramp in West.
- Closed the existing southbound exit ramp to FM 3149/Tours Road.
- Completed construction of the bridge rail on the northbound overpass at FM 308.
Down the Road
- Continue installing permanent signs from BUS 77 to Loop 340.
- Continue work on the retaining walls at FM 1858/Tokio Rd.
- Complete paving at the FM 1858/Tokio Rd. intersection.
- Continue extending culverts to the west of I-35 at various locations between FM 1858/Tokio Rd. and Tours Rd.
- Construct the northbound mainlane pavement between Ross Rd. and FM 3149/Tours Rd.
- Continue construction of the northbound mainlane overpass at Ross Rd.
- Continue construction of the northbound mainlanes overpass at Tours Rd.
- Complete retaining walls and northbound frontage road at FM 308 in Elm Mott.
section 5B: WEST TO ABBOTT (FM 1858/TOKIO RD. TO FM 1304)
- The southbound exit 354 (the Marable St. exit) will remain closed during the construction of this portion of the southbound frontage road until a new exit is built. A message sign will notify the traveling public of the closure.
- Completed first phase of placing the box culverts and other drainage.
- Finished building the new northbound mainlane overpass at FM 21/Oak St. in West.
- Completed placing the HCR bridge deck.
- Completed pouring concrete for the new northbound mainlanes.
- Completed current phase of installation of underdrains for the new mainlanes.
- Completed current phase of laying hot-mix asphalt base on the new northbound and southbound mainlanes.
Down the Road
- Continue pouring concrete for the new southbound mainlanes.
- Continue installing underdrains for the new mainlanes.
- Continue building tie-ins to the Marable St., County Line Rd., and HCR 3102 crossovers.
- Move northbound mainlane traffic onto new pavement from FM 1858/Tokio Rd. to County Line Road.
- Close existing northbound on-ramps at FM 21/Oak St. and Marable St. (Traffic will have to go up past County Line Rd. to get to the next on-ramp until the new ramps are constructed.)
- Begin building final section of new northbound mainlanes.
- Begin building new northbound frontage road (left lane and turn lanes first) through West, from FM 1858/Tokio Road to Marable St. Temporary access to adjoining properties will be provided during construction of the new driveways.
SAFETY REST AREAS (HILL COUNTY)
- Project completed.