My35 Central Texas News
the swallows of Salado
When you think of road construction, you probably think of big machines breaking up asphalt, slow lanes of traffic winding between orange cones, or workers in bright orange vests waving you by. You probably don't think of baby birds. But sometimes wildlife can have a huge impact on the construction process. TxDOT's Waco District recently relocated three baby swallows from their nest affixed to a bridge near Salado marked for demolition.| Read More
BRAZOS RIVER BRIDGES RIBBON-CUTTING (7/2/14)
TxDOT employees made Texas history once again with the official opening of the new Brazos River bridges in Waco. The new bridges were the result of a request from the city of Waco while designing of the I-35 expansion through the city was underway. Waco wanted a "signature" bridge to attract the attention of travelers on I-35, and at the same time make a connection to the Waco Suspension Bridge, an icon of the city and historic in its own right. The Waco District agreed, and the hunt was on. | Read More
section 1B: SALADO (FM 2843 to FM 2484)
- Completed construction of the FM 2484 bridge rail.
Down the road
- Continue southbound mainlane construction from the south end of the project through Thomas Arnold.
- Continue construction of the retaining walls at FM 2484.
- Continue construction of the retaining walls between Salado Creek and Thomas Arnold along the mainlanes.
- Complete side-road entrances along the southbound frontage road between North Main St. and Thomas Arnold.
- Construct the northbound frontage road from North Main St. to FM 2484.
section 1C: Salado to belton (FM 2484 to us 190/fm 436)
- Completed the retaining wall construction at various locations.
Down the Road
- Continue constructing the ramp from the northbound mainlanes to the US 190 Direct Connect/flyover.
- Continue constructing the US 190 Direct Connect/flyover.
- Continue constructing the northbound mainlanes and ramp between Loop 121 and US 190.
- Continue the intersection construction at Loop 121 and the frontage roads.
- Continue constructing the southbound mainlanes and culverts from FM 2484 to Loop 121.
Section 2B: TEMPLE (S. LOOP 363 TO N. LOOP 363)
- Completed the bridge abutments at Adams Ave.
- Began drill shaft installation for the southbound frontage-road bridge over the BNSF Belco Yard.
Down the Road
- Begin constructing the on- and off-ramps for southbound I-35 between Midway Dr. and Loop 363.
- Continue culvert installation on 15th St. between Industrial and Zenith/Fannin Loop and re-open 15th St.
- Continue constructing the storm sewer on the southbound and northbound frontage roads.
- Continue construction of the on- and off-ramp reversals for northbound I-35 between Loop 363 and Midway Drive.
- Continue relocating the utilities and storm sewers north of Nugent.
- Continue building the bridge abutments and interior columns at Spur 290.
- Continue concrete paving on Spur 290.
Section 3A-1: TEMPLE TO TROY (N. LOOP 363 TO N. TROY CITY LIMIT)
- Completed the east end of the culvert near Bottoms East Rd.
- Began work on the approaches for the southbound bridge at Little Elm Creek.
- Began concrete paving on the southbound frontage road at the north end of the project.
Down the Road
- Continue installing riprap along the southbound frontage road ditches.
- Continue work on the Little Elm Creek southbound frontage-road bridge rail and approach.
- Continue constructing the southbound frontage road between Loop 363 and Berger Rd.
- Continue concrete paving on the southbound frontage road to the north end of the project.
- Continue working on the northbound frontage road between Berger/Hart Rd. and FM 1237.
- Continue working on the culverts along the southbound frontage road at Berger/Hart Rd.
- Continue installation of retaining walls for the South Troy underpass along the southbound frontage road.
section 3A-2: TROY to bruceville-eddy (N. TROY CITY LIMIT to woodlawn rd.)
- Until further notice, the southbound frontage road will be closed from Roberts Cemetery to Big Elm Rd. This will allow the demolition and rebuilding of the new frontage road and bridge over Big Elm Creek. Frontage-road traffic traveling south from Big Elm Rd. will have to enter the freeway, except for local traffic only, south of Big Elm Creek. A temporary turnaround has been constructed near Roberts Cemetery.
- Completed constructing the southbound frontage road from Old Blevins Rd. to FM 107.
- Completed work at Old Moody and Grider St. and switched traffic from one way on the southbound frontage road until FM 107.
- Completed the excavation and embankment for the new northbound frontage road from FM 107 to the railroad crossing in Bruceville-Eddy and switched traffic to the new northbound frontage road.
- Began constructing the new southbound frontage road from the railroad tracks to FM 107.
- Began constructing the new northbound mainlanes from FM 107 to the new North Eddy turnaround.
Down the Road
- Continue constructing the southbound frontage road from Big Elm Creek to Big Elm Rd.
- Continue utility relocations.
- Continue construction of the new I-35 overpass at Old Blevins Rd.
- Continue constructing the new southbound mainlane from Big Elm Rd. to Old Blevins Rd.
- Continue working on the new Union Pacific Railroad bridges.
- Continue constructing the retaining wall at the new turnaround north of the railroad tracks in Bruceville-Eddy.
section 3B: LORENA TO HEWITT (WOODLAWN RD. TO SUN VALLEY BLVD./FM 2063)
- Completed the intersection work at S. FM 2837.
- Opened the southbound and northbound frontage roads in Lorena.
- Poured the North Cow Bayou bridge deck.
Down the Road
- Set beams over the new northbound lanes at Callan Ranch Rd.
- Continue the new northbound mainlanes from S. Old Bruceville Rd. to E. FM 2837/Rosenthal Rd.
- Switch southbound main lane traffic to the new pavement from FM 2063/Sun Valley Blvd. to FM 1695/Moonlight Dr.
- Switch the northbound mainlane traffic through Lorena to detour for construction of east section of new main lanes.
- Complete the driveways and intersections in Lorena.
- Construct sidewalks in Lorena.
- Shift the northbound mainlanes in Lorena west to build the new mainlanes.
brazos RIVER BRIDGES (WACO)
- Access roads and turnarounds under I-35 on both sides of the river are closed.
- The sidewalk crossing under I-35 on the south side of the Brazos River is closed as construction in the river continues.
- All pavement structures completed.
- Traffic signals, signs, and striping completed.
- Poured the traffic rail and sidewalk on the northbound frontage-road bridge.
- Constructed the northbound frontage road and driveway at the Ranger Museum.
- Opened all lanes of traffic on the northbound bridge.
Down the Road
- Continue installing the lighting systems.
- Install sidewalks and landscaping along the river.
- Overall job completion and clean up.
section 5A: WACO TO WEST (N. LOOP 340 TO FM 1858)
- Main St. in Elm Mott is permanently closed to through traffic at the southbound frontage road.
- The Ross Rd. crossing is closed until late 2014.
- The Tours Rd. crossing is closed until late 2014.
- Extended culverts to the west of I-35 at various locations between FM 1858/Tokio Rd. and Tours Rd.
- Completed paving at the FM 1858/Tokio Rd. intersection.
- Completed construction of the bridge rail on the northbound overpass at FM 308.
- Completed installing permanent signs from BUS 77 to Loop 340. The BUS 77, Craven Ave., and Meyers Ln. intersections are now two-way stops. Frontage road traffic no longer stops.
Down the Road
- Continue work on the retaining walls at FM 1858/Tokio Rd.
- Construct the northbound mainlane pavement between Ross Rd. and FM 3149/Tours Rd.
- Continue construction of the northbound mainlane overpass at Ross Rd.
- Continue construction of the northbound mainlanes overpass at Tours Rd.
section 5B: WEST TO ABBOTT (FM 1858/TOKIO RD. TO FM 1304)
- The southbound exit 354 (the Marable St. exit) will remain closed during the construction of this portion of the southbound frontage road until a new exit is built. A message sign will notify the traveling public of the closure.
- The northbound Marable St. exit is closed and will remain closed until the new ramp can be built (after the new northbound frontage road is built).
- The northbound FM 2114 entrance ramp is closed.
- Completed temporary on-ramp north of FM 21/Oak St.
- Completed installing underdrains for the new main lanes.
- Completed placing hot-mix asphalt for the base on the proposed northbound and southbound main lanes.
Down the Road
- Removing the old northbound main lanes from the beginning of the project to County Line Rd.
- Begin building the new northbound frontage road through West from the beginning of the project to Marable St. This will include driveways, intersections, and u-turn lanes under FM 2114.
- Remove the old northbound mainlane overpass at FM 21/Oak St. in West. This work is on hold because of nesting birds under the bridge.
- Move the southbound main lane traffic onto the new pavement from County Line Rd. to the end of the project.
- Begin removal of old southbound mainlane pavement following traffic switch to new lanes.
- Build the new northbound exit ramps for FM 2114, Marable St., and County Line Rd.
- Build new northbound entrance ramps for FM 1858, FM 2114, and Marable St.
- Continue pouring concrete for the new southbound and northbound concrete pavement.
- Continue building tie-ins to the Marable St., County Line Rd., and HCR 3102 crossovers.