My35 Central Texas News
Waco Bridge Riverwalk Transformed into Unique and Modern Pedestrian “Experience”
As a TxDOT Landscape Architect Betsy Pittman is accustomed to projects that motorists may or may not see as they travel at highway speeds. So her just-completed work on the pedestrian walkway underneath Waco’s high-profile Brazos River Bridge was a new adventure, and she set out to “go big.” | Read More
Bell County Concrete Columns Have Motorists Asking: What the Heck Is That Thing?
Towering above the median of I-35 between Belton and Salado, uniquely shaped concrete columns seem out of place. At first glance, they appear to be part of a not-yet-constructed bridge support system. But as it turns out, the columns are a part of TxDOT’s plan to transform I-35 into a smart and efficient highway system. | Read More
Section 1B: SALADO (FM 2843 to FM 2484)
- Shifted traffic on Main Street.
- Improved connection at Salado Plaza and Mill Creek Rd.
- Began construction on West Village Dr. and the southbound frontage road.
- Began construction on the northbound frontage road and the crossover at Salado Plaza Dr.
- Began construction of the second Stagecoach mural as part of the northbound mainlane retaining wall construction.
Down the Road
- Continue construction on West Village Dr. and the southbound frontage road.
- Continue construction on the northbound frontage road and the crossover at Salado Plaza Dr.
- Complete construction of the second Stagecoach mural as part of the northbound mainlane retaining wall construction.
- Continue construction of the new mainlanes, retaining walls, overpasses, and ramps at Salado Plaza.
- Continue constructing connections to both frontage roads at FM 2484.
- Continue placing topsoil and seed along the mainlanes and frontage roads.
- Place sanitary sewer casings in six locations across FM 2268/Main St. from north of Thomas Arnold St. to Salado Plaza Dr. prior to placing final overlay on road surface.
Section 1C: Salado to belton (FM 2484 to us 190/fm 436)
- Completed the southbound frontage-road Lampasas River bridge and opened one lane of traffic on it.
- Began demolition of the old southbound frontage-road Lampasas River bridge.
- Completed the riding surface of the southbound mainlane bridge over Lampasas River.
- Began installing safety rails on the southbound mainlane bridge prior to opening.
- Began installing driveways along the southbound frontage road from SH 121 to Shanklin Rd.
Down the road
- Continue constructing the southbound access road between Loop 121 and Shanklin Rd.
- Continue constructing the southbound mainlanes and culverts from FM 2484 to Loop 121.
- Continue constructing the southbound frontage road from Shanklin Rd. to FM 2484.
- Complete installing safety rails on the southbound mainlane Lampasas River Bridge.
- Continue placing topsoil and seed along the northbound mainlanes and frontage road.
- Complete the retaining walls and pedestrian elements at FM 436/US 190.
- Activate the traffic signals at the intersection of FM 436/US 190 and the frontage roads.
Section 2B: TEMPLE (S. LOOP 363 TO N. LOOP 363)
- Southbound exit ramp #302 (Nugent Ave.) is closed indefinitely as work on mainlanes and access road continues in this area. To access the businesses near Exit #302, travelers should use Exit #301.
- Completed installing the southbound frontage road pavement from BNSF Lampasas Sub Overpass to 49th St.
- Switched the northbound frontage-road traffic to the new northbound frontage road from Carpenters down to the existing Industrial Ave. Underpass.
- Completed installing the southbound frontage-road pavement from the BNSF Lampasas Sub Overpass to 49th Street.
- Opened the new Spur 290 bridge over I-35.
- Demolished the two southern spans of the existing Industrial Ave. Underpass bridge.
- Reopened Industrial Blvd. at the railroad crossing just west of I-35.
- Closed 57th St. crossing under I-35 to allow for further reconstruction underneath highway and on the southbound frontage road.
Down the Road
- Continue constructing the retaining wall on the west side of I-35 mainlanes in the Nugent area.
- Continue constructing the storm sewer on the southbound frontage road from BNSF Lampas-Sub Rail Road Overpass south.
- Continue constructing the driveways/sidewalk near Avenue H.
- Finish the concrete rail on the west side of I-35 for the Spur 290 roadway.
- Continue constructing the retaining wall to support installation of the depressed southbound mainlane section at the south end of the project.
- Continue installing southbound frontage road pavement south of BNSF Lampasas-Sub Railroad Overpass.
- Continue installing the concrete rail on the southbound frontage road structures at BNSF, Belco, and Lampasas-Sub Overpasses; southbound mainlanes south of the southern Loop 363 interchange; and retaining walls south of the Central and Adams on-ramp and southbound frontage-road header.
- Continue constructing the retaining wall on the east side of I-35 Nugent Underpass.
- Continue installing mainlane pavement at Adams/Central intersection.
- Continue constructing southbound mainlane pavement south of BNSF Belco Yard Overpass.
- Continue reconstructing permanent northbound frontage road from S. Loop 363 through the Ira Young St. Interchange.
Section 3A-1: TEMPLE TO TROY (N. LOOP 363 TO N. TROY CITY LIMIT)
- Opened new Pegasus Dr. to traffic.
- Opened a new direct-connect ramp from the southbound frontage road to westbound LP 363.
- Set new southbound mainlane bridge beams at FM 935.
Down the Road
- Continue concrete paving on the southbound mainlanes.
- Continue working on the southbound mainlane bridge embankment and bridge substructure at FM 935/Main St. in Troy.
- Switch traffic onto the new northbound frontage road at the south Troy bridge between FM 1237/Pendleton Rd. and FM 935/Main St.
- Continue working on the northbound frontage road between Berger/Hart Rd. and FM 1237.
- Pour the FM 935 southbound mainlane bridge deck.
- Close the existing southbound exit ramp to FM 935 and open the new temporary exit ramp further north.
- Close the existing southbound entrance ramp between FM 1237 and Berger/Hart Rd. and open the new temporary entrance ramp further north.
Section 3A-2: TROY to bruceville-eddy (N. TROY CITY LIMIT to woodlawn rd.)
- Began installing drainage structures for the new northbound frontage road between Big Elm Rd. and Old Blevins Rd.
- Began work on the new northbound mainlane overpass at Old Blevins Rd.
- Began work on the new southbound mainlane overpass at N. Eddy.
- Began rebuilding the Eagle Dr. southbound frontage-road intersection.
- Began work on the east half of the new southbound frontage road between FM 107 and N. Eddy Dr.
Down the Road
- Continue tying in new side streets along the southbound frontage road between UPRR and FM 107.
- Continue working on the new UPRR bridges.
- Demolish the existing northbound mainlane bridge at UPRR and begin working on the new northbound mainlane bridge.
- Continue building the embankment for the new southbound mainlanes from FM 107 to UPRR.
- Continue installing drainage structures for the new northbound frontage road between Big Elm Rd. and Old Blevins.
- Continue work on the new northbound mainlane overpass at Old Blevins.
- Continue work on the new southbound mainlane overpass at N. Eddy.
- Continue rebuilding the Eagle Dr. southbound frontage road intersection.
- Continue work on the east half of the new southbound frontage road between FM 107 and N. Eddy Dr.
- Open the new Eagle Dr. and N. Eddy intersections along the new southbound frontage road.
Section 3B: LORENA TO HEWITT (WOODLAWN RD. TO SUN VALLEY BLVD./FM 2063)
- Began planting vegetation and installing sod and topsoil.
- Installed riprap on slopes under the bridges.
- Installed overhead and small roadside signs.
- Applied raised pavement markings as part of final configuration striping.
Down the Road
- Continue installing highway illumination.
- Continue hanging permanent cantilevered signs.
- Continue planting vegetation and installing sod and topsoil.
- Construct additional concrete riprap at the Callan Ranch Rd. ditch line between the southbound mainlane and southbound frontage road.
- Repair concrete pavement in areas previously damaged by fire (eight sections).
- Bridge beam patchwork for damage due to accidents at N. and S. FM 2837.
- Guardrail repairs at N. Cow Bayou, S. Cow Bayou, and Woodlawn Rd. northbound mainlane bridges.
- Ribbon-cutting August 18, at 9:30 a.m., to celebrate completion of the mainlanes through Lorena. Ceremony at northeast corner of crossing at W. FM 2837/Old Lorena Rd (exit 323).
BRAZOS RIVER BRIDGES (WACO)
- Received and installed re-fabricated final handrail parts.
Down the Road
- Complete seeding and sodding of grassy landscaped areas.
- Complete final cleaning and punch-list items.
- Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation inspection of completed handrail.
SECTION 4A: WACO ACCESS ROADS (MLK TO TAYLOR)
- North-to-south access roads and the turnaround from MLK Blvd. under I-35 at the UPRR crossing have been permanently closed. New access roads and railroad crossing bridges will be constructed to replace them.
- The southbound frontage road turnaround between Forrest St. and UPRR has been closed permanently at Cherry St.
- Poured the bridge deck for the southbound frontage-road UPRR overpass.
- Completed this phase of retaining wall construction south of Forrest St.
Down the Road
- Complete installing the manholes, inlets, and lateral lines on both sides of the highway.
- Complete retaining walls on all four quadrants of the UPRR crossing.
- Complete pouring concrete for the abutments for both UPRR frontage-road bridges.
- Pour bridge deck for the northbound-frontage road UPRR overpass.
- Continue working on the Peach St. connection to southbound frontage road.