My35 Central Texas News
From Safety Rest Areas to Storage Sheds, TxDOT Architects Rely on Creativity
For an agency that specializes in what appears to many to be pretty basic construction work — roads and bridges, for example — the Texas Department of Transportation creates a surprising amount of intricate, highly tailored designs requiring the skills of an unexpected profession: architects. | Read More
West Reconstruction: The Town and the Interstate
Two years before the West explosion, residents and business owners were dreading the possible impact of the four-year-long I-35 reconstruction project that was just getting underway. The city's two-mile-long west side completely borders the interstate, the lifeblood for this small town. West is well known for its Czech heritage, and, especially, its famous homemade kolaches. | Read More
Section 1B: SALADO (FM 2843 to FM 2484)
- Project completed.
Section 1C: Salado to belton (FM 2484 to us 190/fm 436)
Down the road
- Complete final lighting installation.
Section 2B: TEMPLE (S. LOOP 363 TO N. LOOP 363)
- Completed installing the concrete rail along the southbound frontage road at the 57th St. underpass and turnarounds.
- Completed constructing the retaining wall on the east side of the I-35 Nugent Ave. underpass.
- Demolished the last existing bridge span (old Adams Ave. bridge) over the interstate.
- Moved another section of southbound mainlane traffic onto permanent pavement.
- Opened the temporary northbound mainlane on-ramp north of Nugent to facilitate completion of the retaining wall under construction.
Down the Road
- Continue constructing the final phase of the southbound mainlane overpass at the BNSF Lampasas Sub railroad crossing.
- Continue constructing the northbound mainlanes and northbound frontage road overpasses at the BNSF Belco Yard railroad.
- Continue constructing northbound mainlane pavement from Adams and Central Ave. Interchange north to the BNSF Belco Yard overpasses.
- Continue constructing northbound mainlane pavement from BNSF Belco overpass north through the remainder of project.
- Continue excavation and installation of retaining wall No. 1 in the depressed section. Continue construction of the BNSF underpass.
- Continue construction of the BNSF Lampasas Sub northbound mainlane overpass.
- Continue construction of Retaining Wall 52 north of Nugent Ave.
- Continue construction of the west side of the Adams/Central Ave. Interchange.
Section 3A-1: TEMPLE TO TROY (N. LOOP 363 TO N. TROY CITY LIMIT)
- Began working on the east half of the northbound frontage road from FM 935 to North Troy.
- Moved traffic between South Troy and FM 935/Main St. to the new pavement at the northbound frontage road.
- Completed installing retaining wall panels south of FM 1237/Pendleton Rd.
Down the Road
- Complete installing signs for the new southbound mainlanes.
- Continue working on the east half of the northbound frontage road from FM 935 to North Troy.
- Continue working on the northbound frontage road between Berger/Hart Rd. and FM 1237.
- Continue working on the North Troy intersection, Berger/Hart intersection, FM 1237 intersection and West Main Street/FM 935).
- Continue working on the culverts between Berger/Hart Rd. and FM 1237.
- Continue pouring concrete bridge rail for the new northbound mainlanes between FM 935 and North Troy.
- Continue pouring concrete paving on new ramps.
- Pour the south-to-north turnaround at the North Troy intersection.
- Pour the north-to-south turnaround at the Berger/Hart intersection.
- Pour asphalt for the FM-1237 intersection.
- Pour the north-to-south and south-to-north turnarounds at North Troy intersection.
- Pour the concrete curb and gutter, prime, sealcoat and asphalt for the northbound frontage road north and south of the FM-1237 intersection.
Section 3A-2: TROY to bruceville-eddy (N. TROY CITY LIMIT to woodlawn rd.)
- Completed tying in new side streets along the southbound frontage road between UPRR and FM 107.
- Completed working on the new retaining walls at the UPRR crossing.
- Opened the new south-to-north turnaround north of the railroad.
Down the Road
- Continue construction on the new southbound frontage road at FM 107.
- Continue paving the northbound frontage road between Old Blevins Rd. and FM 107.
- Continue working on the retaining walls at the new FM 107 underpass.
- Continue building the east retaining wall.
- Continuing working on the west retaining wall.
- Continue paving the southbound mainlanes between North Eddy and Old Blevins Rd.
- Continue building the new Big Elm Rd. intersection.
- Continue paving the southbound mainlane pavement between Big Elm Rd. and Big Elm Creek.
- Continue placing concrete paving on southbound mainlane pavement between Big Elm Rd. and Big Elm Creek.
- Begin building the new southbound mainlane bridge over Big Elm Creek
- Continue working on the new intersection of the northbound frontage road and FM 107.
- Continue constructing new northbound pavement from the railroad to the north end of project.
SECTION 4A: WACO ACCESS ROADS (MLK TO TAYLOR)
- North-to-south access roads and the turnaround from MLK Blvd. under I-35 at the UPRR crossing have been permanently closed. New access roads and railroad crossing bridges will be constructed to replace them.
- The southbound frontage road turnaround between Forrest St. and UPRR has been closed permanently at Cherry St.
- Forrest St. Bridge is closed.
- Completed demolition of old Forrest St. bridge.
- Completed the tie-in at Cherry St (will be opened when the frontage road is opened).
- Began construction of drilled shafts for new Forrest St. bridge.
Down the Road
- Continue construction of the northbound and southbound frontage-road bridge rails.
- Continue to work on opening the new frontage roads.
- Continue construction of new Forrest St. bridge (currently working on drilled shafts).
- Continue to work on tie-in point for the new southbound frontage road to the existing frontage road.
- Construct the new northbound on-ramp from MLK Blvd.
- Begin constructing columns in the center median for the Forrest Ave. bridge.
- Hang beams for the Forrest Ave. bridge.