My35 Central Texas News
It's Not Just Wildflowers: The Evolving Role of TxDOT Landscape Architecture
Since the I-35 Reconstruction Project began more than seven years ago, Waco District Landscape Architect Betsy Pittman has so far been responsible for planting 994 acres of wildflower seed along the 96 miles of the corridor. "When people think about the things a TxDOT landscape architect does, bluebonnets and Indian paintbrush may be the first things that come to mind," Pittman says. "Although beautification is part of my work, it certainly isn't all of it." | Read More
Section 1C: Salado to belton (FM 2484 to us 190/fm 436)
- Complete final illumination installation.
- Project is complete!
Section 2B: TEMPLE (S. LOOP 363 TO N. LOOP 363)
- Completed construction of the southbound mainlane overpass at the BNSF Lampasas Sub railroad crossing.
- Completed excavation in the depressed section.
Down the Road
- Continue constructing the northbound mainlanes and northbound frontage road overpasses at the BNSF Belco Yard railroad.
- Continue constructing northbound mainlane pavement from Adams and Central Ave. Interchange north to the BNSF Belco Yard overpasses.
- Continue constructing northbound mainlane pavement from BNSF Belco overpass north through the remainder of the project.
- Continue installation of retaining wall No. 1.
- Continue construction of the BNSF underpass.
- Continue construction of the BNSF Lampasas Sub northbound mainlane overpass.
- Continue construction of Retaining Wall 52 north of Nugent Ave.
- Continue construction of the west side of the Adams/Central Ave. Interchange.
Section 3A-1: TEMPLE TO TROY (N. LOOP 363 TO N. TROY CITY LIMIT)
- Completed the culverts between Berger/Hart Rd. and FM 1237.
- Completed pouring the concrete bridge rail for the new northbound mainlanes between FM 935 and North Troy.
- Completed pouring concrete paving on new ramps.
- Completed pouring asphalt for the FM 1237 intersection.
- Completed pouring the concrete curb and gutter, prime, and sealcoat for the northbound frontage road north and south of the FM 1237 intersection.
Down the Road
- Complete installing signs for the new southbound mainlanes.
- Continue working on the east half of the northbound frontage road from FM 935 to North Troy.
- Continue working on the northbound frontage road between Berger/Hart Rd. and FM 1237.
- Continue working on the North Troy intersection, Berger/Hart Rd. intersection, FM 1237 intersection and West Main Street/FM 935).
- Pour the south-to-north turnaround at the North Troy intersection.
- Pour the north-to-south turnaround at the Berger/Hart Rd. intersection.
- Pour the north-to-south and south-to-north turnarounds at North Troy intersection.
- Pour the asphalt for the northbound frontage road north and south of the FM 1237 intersection.
Section 3A-2: TROY to bruceville-eddy (N. TROY CITY LIMIT to woodlawn rd.)
- Opened the new crossing at Big Elm Rd., with one lane in each direction open to traffic.
- Began building the new southbound mainlane bridge over Big Elm Creek.
Down the Road
- Continue construction on the new southbound frontage road at FM 107.
- Continue paving the northbound frontage road between Old Blevins Rd. and FM 107.
- Begin constructing new drainage structures along the northbound frontage road between Old Blevins Rd. and FM 107.
- Continue working on the east retaining wall at the new FM 107 underpass.
- Continuing working on the west retaining wall rail and riprap placement.
- Continue paving the southbound mainlanes between North Eddy and Old Blevins Rd.
- Begin work on the new northbound mainlane pavement between North Eddy and Old Blevins Rd.
- Continue working on the new Big Elm Rd. intersection additional lanes and turnarounds.
- Continue placing concrete paving on southbound mainlane pavement between Big Elm Rd. and Big Elm Creek.
- Continue building the new southbound mainlane bridge over Big Elm Creek.
- Set beams for the new southbound mainlane bridge over Big Elm Creek.
- Continue working on the new intersection of the northbound frontage road and FM 107.
- Continue constructing new northbound pavement from the railroad to the north end of project.
SECTION 4A: WACO ACCESS ROADS (MLK TO TAYLOR)
- North-to-south access roads and the turnaround from MLK Blvd. under I-35 at the UPRR crossing have been permanently closed. New access roads and railroad crossing bridges will be constructed to replace them.
- The southbound frontage road turnaround between Forrest St. and UPRR has been closed permanently at Cherry St.
- Forrest St. Bridge is closed.
- Began covering earthen slopes with soil retention blankets for stabilizing ground and establishing grass cover.
Down the Road
- Continue construction of the northbound and southbound frontage-road bridge rails.
- Continue to work on opening the new frontage roads.
- Continue construction of new Forrest St. bridge (currently working on drilled shafts).
- Continue to work on tie-in point for the new southbound frontage road to the existing frontage road.
- Construct the new northbound on-ramp from MLK Blvd.
- Begin constructing columns in the center median for the Forrest Ave. bridge.
- Hang beams for the Forrest Ave. bridge.