My35 Central Texas News
TxDOT Engineering: Sometimes It Takes a Woman's Touch
Walk into Jamie Farris's office and there's no doubt about her professional passion. Photos of bridges adorn her walls, which seem appropriate for the office belonging to the deputy director of TxDOT's Bridge Division, second-in-command of the entire unit. Based in Austin, the division has nearly 100 employees who play a role in managing and designing Texas' inventory of over 54,000 bridges. | Read More
Planning the Road Ahead: TxDOT Designers Look to the Future
"We (TxDOT) could not have projected 40 years ago the traffic and growth we have today on Interstate 35," says Alisa Polansky, transportation engineer supervisor in the Waco District's Advanced Project Planning group. "But a study done 20 years ago indicated that additional lanes were needed then." | Read More
Section 2B: TEMPLE (S. LOOP 363 TO N. LOOP 363)
- Completed Retaining Wall No. 52 on the east side of the interstate at Nugent Ave.
Down the Road
- Continue constructing the northbound mainlanes and northbound frontage road overpasses at the BNSF Belco Railroad Yard.
- Continue constructing northbound mainlane pavement from BNSF Belco overpass north through the remainder of the project.
- Continue construction of the BNSF underpass.
- Continue construction of the BNSF Lampasas Sub northbound mainlane overpass.
- Continue construction of the west side of the Adams/Central Ave. interchange.
- Continue installation of the project power grid and roadway lighting.
- Continue construction of various overhead sign columns and the concrete rail throughout the project.
- Complete installation of the remaining two spans at the 57th Street turnarounds and the 57th Street underpass.
- Begin installing overhead sign trusses at various locations throughout the project.
- Complete the northbound frontage road between Adams/Central Ave. and Nugent Ave.
Section 3A-1: TEMPLE TO TROY (N. LOOP 363 TO N. TROY CITY LIMIT)
- Opened northbound mainlanes to three lanes throughout the project.
- Opened southbound mainlanes to three lanes throughout the project.
- Removed portable barrier walls from the northbound mainlanes.
- Completed pavement placement on the northbound frontage road at Loop 363.
- Began surface preparation for final striping for the northbound and southbound mainlanes.
- Began pouring driveways at various locations on the northbound frontage road.
Down the Road
- Complete installing signs for the new southbound mainlanes.
- Continue working on the east half of the northbound frontage road from FM 935 to North Troy.
- Continue working on the northbound frontage road between Berger/Hart Rd. and FM 1237.
- Continue working on the North Troy intersection, Berger/Hart Rd. intersection, FM 1237 intersection, and West Main Street/FM 935.
- Complete removal of portable barrier walls from the southbound mainlanes.
- Complete paving on the islands north of the Loop 363 on the east and west sides.
- Complete surface preparation for final striping for the northbound and southbound mainlanes.
- Continue final striping for the northbound and southbound mainlanes.
- Continue pouring driveways at various locations on the northbound frontage road.
- Continue shaping ditches on the east side of the northbound frontage road.
- Continue installing brick pavers on various intersections.
Section 3A-2: TROY to bruceville-eddy (N. TROY CITY LIMIT to woodlawn rd.)
- Completed placing concrete paving on the southbound mainlane pavement between Big Elm Rd. and Big Elm Creek.
- Completed new northbound pavement from the railroad at FM 107/SH 7 to the north end of project.
- Completed guard rail for the new southbound mainlane bridge over Big Elm Creek.
Down the Road
- Continue construction on the new southbound frontage road at FM 107.
- Continue constructing new drainage structures along the northbound frontage road and new northbound mainlanes between Old Blevins Rd. and FM 107.
- Continue working on the east retaining wall at the new FM 107 underpass.
- Continue paving the southbound and northbound mainlanes between North Eddy and Old Blevins Rd.
- Complete installing the permanent center barrier between South Troy and Big Elm Rd.
- Continue working on the new intersection of the northbound frontage road and FM 107.
- Continue working on the new FM 107 bridge.
- Set beams on the new FM 107 bridge.
SECTION 4A: WACO ACCESS ROADS (MLK TO TAYLOR)
- North-to-south access roads and the turnaround from MLK Blvd. under I-35 at the UPRR crossing have been permanently closed. New access roads and railroad crossing bridges will be constructed to replace them.
- The southbound frontage road turnaround between Forrest St. and UPRR has been closed permanently at Cherry St.
- Forrest St. Bridge is closed.
- Completed setting bridge panels at the main westbound/eastbound Forrest Ave. bridge.
- Opened traffic to the new northbound frontage road.
- Began construction of the new northbound on-ramp.
Down the Road
- Continue construction of the new northbound on-ramp.
- Continue construction of the new southbound exit ramp.
- Continue construction of the northbound and southbound frontage-road bridge rails.
- Continue to work on the tie-in point for the new southbound frontage road to the existing frontage road.
- Continue to work on opening the new southbound frontage road.
- Pour the concrete bridge deck on the westbound and eastbound sections of the Forrest Bridge.
- Begin constructing the bridge guardrail.
- Continue construction of the southbound U-turn bridge.